Filed under Nation & World

International women’s day

What really needs to be talked about on March 8

A woman sorts red chillies near Gandhinagar, India in this Feb. 25 photo.  (Ajit Solanki | AP)

AP

A woman sorts red chillies near Gandhinagar, India in this Feb. 25 photo. (Ajit Solanki | AP)

International Women’s Day is a time for the world to celebrate the different women’s rights movements that are taking place around the world. It’s when Oprah quotes and pictures of Malala Yousafzai will be posted on social media with this year’s theme, #PressforProgress. In 2018, we are bound to see a lot of talk about the Time’s Up and #MeToo movements that started last year. The entire theme is meant to ask for a change in the way societies and governments deal with sexual assault.

While these movements deserve attention and need to be talked about, many other women’s issues are being largely ignored by Western media. These too deserve their time in the spotlight that IWD could offer.

“I would argue that it is very privileged, as well as hypocritical, to turn a ‘blind’ eye to international women’s issues because feminism cannot operate without exercising the practices of intersectionality or inclusion,” said Bridget Cybulski, a junior majoring in women and gender studies. “By believing that women’s issues do not occur outside of the U.S., we are not building coalition and not moving forward as feminists.”

Women are discriminated against, ignored, belittled and dehumanized in certain parts of the world. The problems that plague women in other countries are unique and demand to be talked about. As we #PressforProgress this March 8, don’t forget the other women who need their stories to be heard.

Venezuela

The justice system in Venezuela has largely ignored and underplayed gender-based violence. Many women who have been victims of rape and assault have slipped through the cracks in the judicial system, with women facing greater human rights issues throughout the country. The government’s lack of transparency during domestic violence and rape proceedings has outraged many advocacy groups.

Healthcare is seen as a luxury throughout Venezuela, leaving many women to get sterilized in order to not face a pregnancy where they don’t have access to a doctor. A lot of women, desperate for an income, will even start doing sex work. This can put them in danger, making them vulnerable to the sex trafficking industry, according the United Nations. The women are lured away with the promise of making more money, only to be forced to work as sex slaves with little to no pay.

Many activists have called on the government to better respond to women’s issues. Whether that be through prevention education or providing harsher legal ramifications to abusers, many want Venezuela to respond in a timely and accurate manner to the issues at hand – starting with the government responding to the thousands of violence complaints that have been reported to authorities but never made it to court.

Mauritania

The idea that big-is-beautiful is echoed throughout the country of Mauritania – with serious implications. Young girls are sent away to special camps to practice leblouh, or intensive force-eating. The girls have to maintain a 14,000 to 16,000 calorie-a-day diet in order to gain weight quickly before they get married, which can be between the ages of 12 to 14.

Forced to eat about four meals a day, the girls are beaten, tortured and humiliated so that they will keep eating until they are sick. If they throw up, they are forced to eat their own vomit. The leblouh camps exist around the country, and parents pay hundreds of dollars to have specialists force feed their daughters for months on end. In Mauritania, the bigger the girl is the more mature and beautiful she is said to look, making her ready for marriage. Though a lot of young girls are not interested in gaining weight, their parents force them into leblouh so that they can enter them into arranged marriages.

The long-term implications of force feeding can be harmful and, at times, deadly. Eating such a high-calorie diet and taking medication to help gain weight can cause heartburn, stomach problems, kidney failure, diabetes, depression and asthma. While the government has officially condemned leblouh, it is still seen as a normal practice in Mauritania.

Morocco

In Morocco, abortion is completely illegal unless the woman is married, and there is often a physical threat to the mother and the husband even if they approve the abortion together. A pregnancy outside of a marriage is considered a huge scandal in the country, leading many women to seek out back alley abortions.

Many illegal abortions are carried out each day, according to a professor and gynecologist at Les Orangers hospital in Morocco who spoke with Al Jazeera. Whether it is through unqualified doctors or by themselves, women seek to terminate their pregnancies and end up with serious complications from the procedures.

Groups are now pushing for change in Morocco, asking for comprehensive sex education to be taught in schools and for laws to be changed to allow for more flexibility when it comes to abortion procedures. For now, nonprofits and organizations have popped up around the country to help single mothers find shelter and provide for their children while gaining job skills so they can work while unmarried.

India

Virginity tests take place directly after a wedding in India. The bride and groom are ushered into a hotel room, given a white sheet and forced to consummate their marriage as the family waits outside. When they are done, the family inspects the white sheet. If the woman bled during intercourse, she is seen as a virgin. If she doesn’t, then they believe she had sex before marriage and she is shamed by her family and community, and her husband can choose to annul the marriage.

The practice has been demeaned as humiliating for the women involved. They are seen as “impure,” their husbands can shun them, and some women are even beaten because of the “shame” that they caused to their families. The idea that a woman must bleed during her first penetrative intercourse has been widely discredited by doctors as nothing more than a myth.

Many young couples have opposed the test and refuse to participate, though it still affects many women across the country. Women are harassed and berated at their weddings, and entire communities will have nothing to do with a bride who did not pass the virginity test. Many are hoping that through education and persistence, the virginity tests will no longer be a part of marriage in India during the future.

Afghanistan

Despite the original effort in 2001 by the Afghan government to educate girls in the country, an estimated two-thirds of all Afghan girls do not attend school. According to a 2017 Human Rights Watch study, the government provides more schools to boys than they do for girls at all levels, and in half of the country’s provinces females make up only 20 percent or less of teachers. This creates issues for girls whose parents will not let them be taught by male teachers.

Despite the law that states education is required until class nine, many in Afghanistan haven’t received any form of education. Schools for women can be spread out across the country, making it nearly impossible for some to be able to access the school if they live in a different village. Girls are also kept at home because of cultural values that do not place emphasis on their education, and roughly a third of all Afghan girls are married before they turn 18.

There are families who have taken action to be able to educate their daughters, however. Donors have started community-based schools that take place in homes to allow for young children, mostly girls, to receive an education even when a government school isn’t accessible. Other groups are advocating for the government to increase the national education budget to allow for more schools to be built throughout the country.

Nigeria

In 2014, the world rallied around Nigeria after Boko Haram kidnapped over 275 girls from a boarding school. Now, there are 110 girls who are missing in a near-identical attack on the Girls Science and Technical College in Dapchi in the Yobe state.

The first reports by the Nigerian government said that dozens of girls were rescued after the attack on the school, but later it was announced that no one had been rescued by the Nigerian army. The government said on Feb. 25 that there are 110 students who remain unaccounted for after the Boko Haram raid on the girls school. Authorities claim the insurgents raided the school looking for food and abducted the girls while there.

While 76 girls were rescued and two were found dead on Feb. 21, many fear that the still-missing girls will be taken into captivity, beaten, tortured and possibly forced to marry their captors, similar to what happened to the kidnapped girls in 2014. Not much has been said by the Nigerian government about where the missing girls could be, but parents are joining the “Bring Back Our Girls” movement in order to bring attention to the kidnappings.

Graphics by Ally Zacek

4 Responses to “International women’s day”

1. NATIONAL KIDNEY FOUNDATION on April 6th, 2018 11:00 am

THE NATIONAL KIDNEY FOUNDATION (NKF) APOLLO.
    Good day everyone. My name is Beatrice Edwards. I am citizen of
    The United States of America and I want to disclose a very vital
    information to everyone who cares to listen.
    Eight years of my life were wasted away. I had a very terrible
    disease.I was diagnosed with kidney stone problem.
    I couldn’t live my life like a normal human being all because of this
    disease. It got to a point where I almost lost my life. The doctors
    here in America gave me the shock of my life. I was told that I need
    a kidney replacement as my kidney has been damaged. I also gave up the
    ghost at the knowledge of my predicament. All this was because firstly,
    I had no money or health insurance. But to God be the glory, a very
    good friend of mine while I was on sick bed told me about the National
    Kidney Foundation (NKF) and how they can assist me.
    At first I never believed it was true until she inboxed NKF on my
    behalf and lo and behold. NKF replied back asking me to come over for
    treatment and a possible kidney transplant. And the most amazing
    part is that they told me that I could pay for my treatment and
    transplant instalmentally.Now, tell me, who will do this? The answer
    is Only but the National Kdney Foundation (NKF). To cut a very long
    story short, today I am hale and hearty and well again. All this was
    made possible through the divine intervention of the National
    Kidney Foundation (NKF).
    My brothers and sisters, please do not die in silence.
    If you are having a kidney problem of any sort or you need to sell/buy a kidney,
    please do not hesitate to get in touch with the NKF. They have all
    the necessary equipment and good doctors to take a very good care of you.They
    have their branches almost everywhere in the world, UK, USA, Ukraine, Belgium,
    Canada, Australia, and sixteen other countries around the world
    including Africa.
    I love you all and that is why am taking my time to share with you
    this very vital information. You can contact The National Kidney Foundation through their
    official email address:nkfhospitalsworldwide@gmail.com

God bless you all.

Beatrice Edwards.

2. Dr Donald on May 30th, 2018 4:11 am

We are urgently in need of kidney donor in a very good health condition for the sum of $470,000,00 and we will take properly care of the donor doling the whole process, here you can contact us via email address: ahospital661@gmail.com or phone number-+919677345881 whatsApp or call. by name Dr Donald

3. Antonio Sam on June 4th, 2018 6:10 am

ITS REALLY A GOOD THING TO DEAL WITH YOUR ISSUES YOURSELF

But Here is the good news !!!
    You don’t have to RISK❌ Finding a hacker yourself;
    (that’s the number one step to being or getting scammed🚫❌)⚠️
    To ensure that who you in contact with is a real hacker
    We are here to link you up if you ever need a legit hacker to deal with you cyber mishaps without any risk involved.

Cyber shield hacking agency can link you to many legit hackers that you won’t believe you could ever come across to getting your jobs done,

Eg:
    ◾ALBERT GONZALEZ ⭐️⭐️⭐️
    (an overall 3 star hacker that specializes in credit card mishap).

◾COSTELLO FRANK⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
    (overall 5 star hacker that deals with criminal and blog cleaning).

◾JOBERT ABMA ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
    (overall 4 star hacker)

◾JEANSON JAMES ANCHETA ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
    (4 star specialist in social site binary decryption).

Websites🌎 and means of contact🖥 will be sent to you according to the mishap you need help about.

◾OUR “AIMS” HERE◾
    Are:
    1◾to assign a qualified✔️✔️ agent⭐️ of specific rank to particularly any sort of cyber issues you intend dealing with in short and accurate timing.

2◾ to screen in real hackers⭐️ (gurus only) in need of job with or without a degree, to speed ⚡️up the availability of time given to for Job contracts.!!
    Thus an online binary decoding exam will be set for those who seeks employment under the teams Establishment.
    write 📝📝 us on:
    ◾Cybershieldnotch@gmail.com
    ◾Cybeshieldnotch@protonmail.com.

⭐️ADMIN signed
    ⭐️Thank y’all…..!

4. Alma Theresa Elmontè on June 9th, 2018 8:27 am

Honestly speaking, getting a genuine hacker is very rare… but my classmates Corporation has assembled the finest hackers in London, Texas and mostly his Cambridge colleagues .They show proof of their authenticity. Contact them at jamiehacking99@gmail.com or text them at +1 682-710-6833.

• International women’s day

Nation & World

Putting the meaning back into Memorial Day

• International women’s day

Nation & World

Bill aims to teach LGBT history

• International women’s day

Nation & World

Building Big Brother: China’s new frontier

• International women’s day

Nation & World

A deeper look into terrorism

• International women’s day

Nation & World

The U.S. pulls out of Iran Deal

• International women’s day

Nation & World

IAAF changes the regulations for female intersex athletes

• International women’s day

Nation & World

Unemployment rate falls to lowest in almost two decades

• International women’s day

Nation & World

Nation & World Briefs: May 7, 2018

• International women’s day

Nation & World

Stories from the melting pot

• International women’s day

Nation & World

Starbucks closing stores for “racial bias training”

International women’s day