Filed under Focus, Showcase

Save the Date: The countdown to the royal wedding has begun

Meghan Markle and Prince Harry will tie the knot May 19 at 6 a.m. central time.

Victoria Williamson | The DePaulia

Victoria Williamson | The DePaulia

Hollywood actress and California native Meghan Markle will wed Prince Harry of Wales, grandson of the Queen and sixth in line for the throne on Saturday, May 19. The two met in 2016 after being introduced by a mutual friend and reportedly dated for about 15 months before Prince Harry popped the question during a quiet night in over roast chicken.

Now, with the wedding just days away and despite heavy scrutiny from the media, there are still quite a few details left up to speculation. Meghan’s dress? The wedding party? The guest list?

“They are keeping things very tight-lipped,” said Frank J. Andonoplas, accredited master wedding planner, owner of Frank Event Design in Chicago and adjunct professor in the School of Hospitality. “This is not just a wedding- this is an event that is going to affect the British Monarchy, and there is so much protocol involved.”

Meghan and Prince Harry’s wedding will be held at St. George’s Chapel in Windsor Castle, rather than at Westminster Abbey where Prince William and Kate Middleton were married in 2011. As Harry is sixth in line to the throne and is quite unlikely to be King, the couple was allowed to opt for a slightly more toned-down venue. St. George’s Chapel can hold 800 guests compared to Westminster Abbey’s 2,000.

But even with a smaller guest list, a wedding of the scale will be anything but low-key.

“You’ll be dealing with street closures and security beyond belief,” said Andonoplas, who has experience planning weddings for celebrities and high-profile guests that require confidentiality and security measures. “I couldn’t even begin to imagine what their security plan is.”

Meghan may also bring a few of her own American customs to the traditional British affair. We know the couple has commissioned Claire Ptak, American expat and owner of London-based Violet Bakery, to make a lemon elderflower cake with buttercream frosting for the big day, going against the traditional fruitcake that’s been served at royal weddings for generations.

As for the wedding party, it’s unknown if Meghan will stick to American or British wedding customs. While American bridesmaids tend to be adult friends of the bride, the British often include children in the wedding party. It’s believed that Meghan will commission her close friends for her own wedding party, but perhaps also include Prince Harry’s nephew and niece, Prince George and Princess Charlotte, in the festivities.

The design and designer of Meghan’s dress, which have been widely speculated over in the months and weeks leading up to the wedding, are also still a mystery.

“I’d be shocked if she wore strapless,” said Andonoplas. “She’s too modest- we won’t be seeing any shoulder. I’m guessing short sleeves, maybe a cap sleeve. Something very tasteful.”

Meghan’s style as she has transitioned into the royal spotlight has been widely embraced, with critics and fans alike appreciating her modern spin on a very conservative look. From her trousers to her signature messy bun and pointed-toe pumps, women around the world have been quick to snatch up labels she’s been spotted wearing. Her wedding dress will no doubt inspire a new trend for many brides, just as Kate and Diana did before her.

“After Diana, it was all about the royal ballgown and the bow in the back,” recalls Andonoplas. “And after Kate was married, the long sleeves and lace became really big. I’ve seen many more sleeves on brides since then.”

Post ceremony, the couple will reportedly have two receptions. This first reception will be at St. George’s Hall, and the second, more private reception will be hosted by Prince Charles at Frogmore House. The second reception will be for closer friends and family only, and it’s rumored that the Spice Girls may be performing.

“The afterparty will be later in the evening, and it’s more for the couple as opposed to all the earlier protocol. I think they will try and make it their own,” said Andonoplas on the level of input the couple has in planning their wedding day.

Still, because of royal traditions and customs, many of the day’s events are out of Meghan and Harry’s control. “I can tell you there are things they would have wanted and were told absolutely not,” he added.

For citizens of the UK who are more closely connected to the royal family, the upcoming royal wedding stirs up some emotions from the past. Anna Buhles, British citizen who splits her time between the U.S. and the UK, says that as a nation, Britain has closely watched both boys grow since the death of Princess Diana in 1997.

“Watching William and Harry walking behind their mother’s coffin that day will never be forgotten,” said Buhles. “Many people really wondered if those boys would ever find happiness again, particularly Harry who was so young.”

“It’s especially heartwarming to see him marrying someone who seems to make him happy and be his equal in many ways,” she added.

As for the American attention to the upcoming royal event, Buhles believes Americans have always had a level of interest in the royals, partly due to the fairytale aspect of kings, queens, princes and princesses that are foreign to American culture, and partly because the Royal Family puts on such a good show.

“Even so, in the UK it will be times 100 with wall-to-wall coverage,” said Buhles. “A royal wedding is huge in the UK and really the only way to avoid it is to hide at home with everything switched off and the curtains drawn.”

Added American interest in the wedding is also due to the fact that Meghan herself is American, and a well-known actress from her role as Rachel Zane on Suits.

“I followed William and Kate’s wedding,” says student Sarah Epstein. “But I think my friends and I are even more interested in this one just because of Meghan. I hope she adds a little bit of flair and some of her own personality into it. She’s different, and that’s the best part.”

Local fans will be able to catch a glimpse of the couple during their carriage procession through Windsor after the ceremony. But for those of us across the pond thinking about setting an alarm to watch the big day, be ready for an early wake up- the wedding will air here in Chicago at 6am on Saturday morning. But based on what we know so far (and all the rumors), it will be well worth it.

4 Responses to “Save the Date: The countdown to the royal wedding has begun”

1. Caden Sage on June 5th, 2018 3:53 am

This is my story, a true life story on how I survived an abusive husband(s). Please read and share.

Leaving an abusive marriage was life threatening, I was scared of the post-divorce lifestyle. I felt starting afresh with another man seems impossible at my age because my husband(s) always downplays my emotions making me feel like a worthless woman. Yes, I was married thrice.

I was betrayed by a friend, cheated upon by husband(s), beaten, jailed but I never gave up, I chose to ride or die with my current 5-year-old marriage because of love, our children and our shared finance. Though I love my husband to a fault and believed I can change his mindset through spiritual means before we go our separate ways.

After domestic abuse and emotional conflicts comes spiritual father, Dr. Wakina with redemption and restoration via dr.wakinalovetemple@gmail.com with the spell that ended my abusive circle. I also escaped social pressure.

I wasn’t wrong afterall sticking to my husband and changing our lifestyle through spiritual doctors. Believe me, we’re living our dream lifestyle for over 5-months with much love and respect for each other.

2. Raphael on August 17th, 2018 8:03 am

Not much to say concerning Dr. Wakina, we all know Dr. Wakina love spell is capable of resurrecting a dead-end relationship. This is just a simply thank you for bringing back my ex-wife after three years and four months of ongoing feud. His mysterious spell worked as testified by people he has helped, he saved my married just as promised. I will conclude by saying with Dr. spell you don’t need to fight anymore or go through pains just to save your marriage. His contact email is (dr.wakinalovetemple@gmail.com)

3. Michelle Armstrong on August 20th, 2018 4:43 pm

I cannot believe this… MY EX HUSBAND IS BACK TO ME!!!
    My name is Michelle. This is a story of Doctor Odunga who brought my ex husband back to me in 3 days of contact. He told me me he would do it but i didn’t believe him but decided to give him a try and to my greatest surprise, my ex husband came home and started playing with the kids and gave me a kiss on my cheek, knelt down on his knees and begged me for leaving without a goodbye. I heard he had woman he was seeing before he left me and i was devastated which made me seek help in a spell caster such as Doctor Odunga. I also met this man through a testimony about him and i contacted his email at odungaspelltemple@gmail. com and when i explained things to him, he told me not to worry. I am very happy today that my husband who left me for over 2 years, came back home. I asked him what about the other woman and he said that was his past and nothing will ever make him leave again. I am thankful to Doctor Odunga. Contact him to help you now at odungaspelltemple@gmail. com

4. clouds on August 21st, 2018 2:43 am

My name is Heidi Ellaine, I lives in United States, my Email [covenantsolutiontemple@gmail.com] help me thank DR. covenant who helped cured me from HERPES SIMPLEX in just one (1) week. I got
    to know him from a friend who he helped, at first I doubt if his herbal
    product would work until my friend put her car at stake that if it doesn’t
    work she would give me her car. After which I decided to try, to God be the
    glory am now a living testimony, all thanks to DR. covenant, if not for him I would
    not have been healed so easily.. You can reach him via
    covenantsolutiontemple@gmail.com or call/whatsapp at +2349057353987, you can also
    contact him on cure on……
    1. GONORREA
    2. SYPHILIS
    3. ASTHMA
    4. STROKE
    5. DIABETES MELLITUS
    6. SIMPLEX HERPES
    7. RINGING EAR
    8.LOW SPERM COUNT
    9.SICKLE CELL
    10.HIV/AIDS
    11.CANCER