Filed under Arts/Life

Lolla Recap: Day 4

Callie Craig | Lil Uzi Vert

Callie Craig | Lil Uzi Vert

Callie Craig | Lil Uzi Vert

On the fourth and final day of the festival, the sun was beating down making for another extremely hot and muggy day. Foot traffic and a lack of rain had reduced the grass across the festival grounds to a thin layer of dust that was easily swept up in the slightest breeze. This made for the perfect storm of a large group of sweaty people and free-floating dirt flying through the air. As a result, people got dirty. As the day went on, more and more people were walking around with streaks of mud down their legs and arms. For most, it was just an inevitable byproduct of Lollapalooza.

With a festival lineup heavily skewed toward hip-hop, Sunday was the day where rap truly reigned. After about 3 p.m. there was hip-hop being performed at all times somewhere in the park until the day ended about seven hours later. While stacking a schedule so heavily to one genre runs the risk of alienating many ticket holders, it seemed to pay off.

Gucci Mane

In matching plaid shirt and shorts with a collection of glistening, and probably very expensive, chains around his neck, Gucci Mane started things off the best way you can in Chicago: by playing Chance the Rapper. In an impressive set at one of the hottest points in the day, Gucci Mane played some of his biggest hits as well as other artist’s popular songs such as Chance’s “No Problems” and Rae Sremmurd’s “Black Beatles,” two of the biggest songs in hip-hop in the past few years.

A little over 24 hours before he took the stage, LL Cool J was in the exact same place giving a lesson on classic hip-hop. Today, Gucci Mane did the opposite and gave his fans the music they knew best, much to their delight.

While his performance was energized and kept the crowd bouncing with the beat, he did end the show about 15 minutes before scheduled, seemingly a trend amongst many of the artists this year. Regardless, his fans didn’t seem to mind much as most of them simply turned around and walked straight across to the Tito’s Stage where another hip-hop artist was set to begin shortly.

NAV adds some R&B to the mix

Giving the crowd a break from strictly rap, NAV’s music blends together hip-hop and R&B allowing the crowd to sing along for a change. Wearing black pants and a black t-shirt under a blue jacket, NAV played to one of the largest crowds the Tito’s Stage saw all weekend.

His setlist was expertly designed, with each song flowing seamlessly into the next making the performance feel as cohesive as possible. Despite this being the third festival he’s played in a row, the Lolla crowd surpassed them all in his eyes. “Y’all know every word,” NAV said of his music. “It’s a blessing.” NAV ended the show with what is arguably his biggest hit, “Myself,” with the cheers of the crowd and the heavy bass carrying across the northern end of Grant Park.

Lil Uzi Vert gives the crowd what they want

Like they did just an hour before, most of NAV’s crowd turned directly around and walked straight to the Bud Light stage, quickly securing their spots for arguably the biggest hip-hop artist of the day: Lil Uzi Vert.

With the sun setting, most of the crowd was covered by shade with the angle of the sun hitting the stage perfectly, creating a golden spotlight on the artist.

On the stage with his DJ and huge crosses behind him, Lil Uzi jumped around as the fans jumped with him. After initially seeing the crowd’s response to his performance, he decided to play almost all of his most popular songs back-to-back for the entire show. At one point he stated, “I’m not good at speeches so let’s just keep it going,” cueing the DJ to start the next track. This essentially ensured that the fans wouldn’t lose energy at any point, giving him one of the best crowds of the weekend.

However, like many performances this weekend, the show had to stop mid-way through to spread the crowd out to prevent injury to those pushed up against the gates in the front.

Lil Uzi took frequent breaks from the microphone to dance around. His facial expressions while dancing, projected onto the two huge screens surrounding the stage, eventually became a highlight of the show.

Callie Craig | Lil Uzi Vert

After performing his hits “You Was Right,” “Do What I Want” and “Money Longer” among others he decided to end the show with a second rendition of what is considered one of his greatest songs, “XO TOUR LIif3.”

Lil Uzi handed the microphone to someone in the crowd and as the fans sang it one last time, he abruptly left the stage ending the show with the music still playing. It seemed like an unplanned move as the cameras desperately scanned the stage for the artist, projecting onto the big screens. Once the crowd realized Lil Uzi left for good, so did they, already focused on the next show.

Quinn XCII outdoes himself

In what he himself has called “the biggest show of his life,” Quinn XCII performed brilliantly as dust spun around in the air, kicked up from the large crowd jumping and dancing in what had essentially turned into a sandbox.

On the American Eagle Stage, Quinn XCII performed as his music videos played on the screen behind him. Luckily for him, the schedule worked out in his favor with a large crowd coming from Bud Light just 10 minutes into his set.

By choosing the setlist he did, and playing songs like “Another Day in Paradise” and “Always Been You,” Quinn XCII gave the crowd feel-good songs with a beat that was easy to dance to as well as highlighting his impressive range as a singer.

One thing’s for sure, while he may have been relatively unknown to many, he definitely earned himself some new fans last night.

Playboi Carti ends the weekend

About 30 minutes after Quinn XCII ended and his fans were replaced by Playboi Carti’s, the DJ kicked off the show with the sound of a machine gun blaring through the speaker. After that, a song started and Carti burst on stage jumping and screaming his lyrics into the microphone. That level of energy remained for the rest of the performance, for both him and his fans.

People climbed the trees that sheltered the stage, trusting even the thinnest branches with their weight in order to get a better view. Flashlights from cellphones lit up the crowd and the dust still swirling around in the night. The screen behind Carti simply read “IT ENDS HERE” which was fitting considering he had one of the last shows of the entire festival.

He performed songs like “R.I.P.” and “Shoota” off of his newest album as well as “*wokeuplikethis” and “Magnolia,” two of his most popular songs to date.

In what seemed like a missed opportunity, Playboi Carti and Lil Uzi Vert never shared the stage despite collaborating on multiple songs including “*wokeuplikethis” which they both included in their respective sets.

While seeing them on stage together would have been a highlight for many, the end of Lollapalooza was still full of notable moments all across the park, making for another memorable weekend of music.

6 Responses to “Lolla Recap: Day 4”

1. clouds on August 7th, 2018 7:24 am

ENLARGE YOUR PENIS WITH DR.COVENANT PENIS ENLARGEMENT CREAM
    Hello everyone am cliff, From texas USA , i am here to give my testimony about a spell caster called Dr Covenant, I was heartbroken because i had very small penis, not big enough to satisfy a woman, i have been in so many relationship, but cut off because of my situation, i have used so many product which doctors prescribe for me, but none could offer me the help i searched for. i saw some few comments on the internet about this specialist called Dr Covenant and decided to email him on his email i saw on the internet,(Covenantsolutiontemple@gmail.com) so I decided to give his herbal product a try. i emailed him and he got back to me, he gave me some comforting words with his herbal pills for Penis Enlargement, Within 3 week of it, i began to feel the enlargement of my penis, ” and now it just 4 weeks of using his products my penis is about 9 inches longer, and i had to settle out with my Ex girlfriend Jane, i was surprised when she said that she is satisfied with my sex and i have got a large penis.
    Am so happy, thanks to Dr Covenant. If you need his help on his email via (Covenantsolutiontemple@gmail.com) Thanks or call him on his mobile +2349057353987

RESULTS AFTER CASTING OUR PENIS ENLARGEMENT SPELL;
    Permanent penis enlargement
    Thick penis
    Bigger penis head
    Improved force and intensity
    Boosted semen quantity
    Effective erections
    Cures and prevents impotence
    Have multiple orgasms
    Ends Early ejaculation
    Increased stamina
    Best regard

2. Raphael on August 17th, 2018 7:58 am

Not much to say concerning Dr. Wakina, we all know Dr. Wakina love spell is capable of resurrecting a dead-end relationship. This is just a simply thank you for bringing back my ex-wife after three years and four months of ongoing feud. His mysterious spell worked as testified by people he has helped, he saved my married just as promised. I will conclude by saying with Dr. spell you don’t need to fight anymore or go through pains just to save your marriage. His contact email is (dr.wakinalovetemple@gmail.com)

3. Michelle Armstrong on August 20th, 2018 4:39 pm

I cannot believe this… MY EX HUSBAND IS BACK TO ME!!!
    My name is Michelle. This is a story of Doctor Odunga who brought my ex husband back to me in 3 days of contact. He told me me he would do it but i didn’t believe him but decided to give him a try and to my greatest surprise, my ex husband came home and started playing with the kids and gave me a kiss on my cheek, knelt down on his knees and begged me for leaving without a goodbye. I heard he had woman he was seeing before he left me and i was devastated which made me seek help in a spell caster such as Doctor Odunga. I also met this man through a testimony about him and i contacted his email at odungaspelltemple@gmail. com and when i explained things to him, he told me not to worry. I am very happy today that my husband who left me for over 2 years, came back home. I asked him what about the other woman and he said that was his past and nothing will ever make him leave again. I am thankful to Doctor Odunga. Contact him to help you now at odungaspelltemple@gmail. com

4. clouds on August 21st, 2018 2:13 am

My name is Heidi Ellaine, I lives in United States, my Email [covenantsolutiontemple@gmail.com] help me thank DR. covenant who helped cured me from HERPES SIMPLEX in just one (1) week. I got
    to know him from a friend who he helped, at first I doubt if his herbal
    product would work until my friend put her car at stake that if it doesn’t
    work she would give me her car. After which I decided to try, to God be the
    glory am now a living testimony, all thanks to DR. covenant, if not for him I would
    not have been healed so easily.. You can reach him via
    covenantsolutiontemple@gmail.com or call/whatsapp at +2349057353987, you can also
    contact him on cure on……
    1. GONORREA
    2. SYPHILIS
    3. ASTHMA
    4. STROKE
    5. DIABETES MELLITUS
    6. SIMPLEX HERPES
    7. RINGING EAR
    8.LOW SPERM COUNT
    9.SICKLE CELL
    10.HIV/AIDS
    11.CANCER

5. Nicole Travolta on September 21st, 2018 5:58 am

Hey everyone,
    I’m so excited. My ex-boyfriend is back after few months of breakup, I’m extremely happy that will are living together again. My boyfriend of 4yr just broke up with me and am 30 weeks pregnant. I have cried myself to sleep most of the nights and don’t seem to concentrate during lectures sometimes I stay awake almost all night thinking about him and start to cry all over again. Because of this I end up not having energy for my next day’s classes, my attendance has dropped and am always in uni and on time. Generally he is a very nice guy, he ended it because he said we were arguing a lot and not getting along. He is right we’ve been arguing during the pregnancy a lot .After the break up I kept ringing him and telling him I will change. I am in love with this guy and he is the best guy I have ever been with. I’m still hurt and in disbelief when he said he didn’t have any romantic feelings towards me anymore that hurt me faster than a lethal syringe. He texts me now and then mainly to check up on how am doing with the pregnancy, he is supportive with it but it’s not fair on me, him texting me as I just want to grieve the pain and not have any stress due to the pregnancy.
    I was really upset and I needed help, so I searched for help online and I came across a website that suggested that Dr Ahmed can help solve marital problems, restore broken relationships and so on. So, I felt I should give him a try. I contacted him and he told me what to do and I did it then he did a spell for me. 17 hours later, my bf came to me and apologized for the wrongs he did and promise never to do it again. Ever since then, everything has returned back to normal. I and my bf are living together happily again
    All thanks to Dr Ahmed if you have any marital, relationship or divorces problem contact Dr Ahmed now and I guarantee you that he will help you.
    Here’s his contact.
    Call/what’s-app: +2348160153829
    Email: Ahmedutimate@gmail.com

6. Taylor Charity on September 28th, 2018 8:37 am

THANKS FOR SHARING

my ex Husband broke up with me in January 2018, we had been together for 8 years. He broke up with me and went straight to someone else. He mainly broke up with me because my ex husband didn’t want to see me happy with someone else and he was always bothering him and sending threats. The last time I saw my ex bf he told me it was over because it was to much trouble to be with me and as I was leaving I started crying and he grabbed me and we kissed. It was very passionate, he played with my hair a little like he had always done before and kissed me on the forehead. I left and tried to text him the next day and he only said we are over, he didn’t want to know more of me and that we would never be again. He blocked me on Facebook and move right away in with someone else. Since then he has not contacted me at all. However, in April he changed his Facebook cover picture to a very dark photo of him and his new gf, but he also changed his profile photo to a picture He had taken when we were at the beach together. He made it his temporary photo and then changed it a couple minutes after but didn’t delete it off his wall. The cover photo of him and his new gf was very strange as you would have thought it was the night sky unless you clicked on it. But than a couple of weeks later he completely deactivated his fb account and hasn’t opened it up since. The fact that he would post the pic of a night we were together and he knows meant a lot to me, would that mean he still loves me and just didn’t want either of us to get hurt by my crazy ex husband or what? He knows that my mom can see his Facebook as he didn’t block her?? about two months ago, a new staff was applied in my place of work and when He heard about my sad story He was so remorseful and told me about Dr kanyzian Henz .but i felt it was still one of those internet guys so i didn’t call or text Dr kanyzian Henz. later that week, He asked me if i have heard from Dr kanyzian Henz and he gave me proof and reasons to try. well,Lots thanks to Dr. kanyzian Henz for bringing my husband back and bringing great joy to my family again! Dr, kanyzian Henz (drkanyzian.spell.net@gmail.com) is undoubtedly the best online assistant and his result is 100% guaranteed. If you need your ex lover to return quickly, contact him.

• Lolla Recap: Day 4

Lifestyle

Navy Pier to host lakeside love search

• Film & TV

Netflix’s Cinematic Rebranding Takes Off

• Lolla Recap: Day 4

‘Venom’ lacks vision

• Film & TV

What’s Fresh on Netflix

• Lolla Recap: Day 4

Gosling and Chazelle pilot ‘First Man’ toward success

• Lolla Recap: Day 4

‘Better Call Saul:’ Gripping fourth season ends with a foreboding look ahead

• Music

St Vincent DeJamz

• Lolla Recap: Day 4

‘Forever’ is inventive, worthwhile watch

• Lolla Recap: Day 4

Showcase

Dystopian optimism in “The Oath”

• Lolla Recap: Day 4

88Rising looks to continue meteoric ascent

Lolla Recap: Day 4