DePaul alum who triggered Russia investigation sentenced

George Papadopoulos, the Trump campaign adviser who triggered the Russia investigation, was sentenced to 14 days in prison Friday by a judge who said he had placed his own interests above those of the country.

Papadopoulos, the first campaign aide sentenced in special counsel Robert Mueller’s ongoing investigation, said he was “deeply embarrassed and ashamed” for having lied to FBI agents during an interview last year and acknowledged that his actions could have hindered their work.

“I made a dreadful mistake, but I am a good man who is eager for redemption,” Papadopoulos said.

The punishment was far less than the maximum six-month sentence sought by the government but also more than the probation that Papadopoulos and his lawyers had asked for.

Papadopoulos, who served as a foreign policy adviser to President Donald Trump’s campaign, has been a central figure in the Russia investigation dating back before Mueller’s May 2017 appointment. He was the first to plead guilty in Mueller’s probe and is now the first Trump campaign adviser to be sentenced. His case was also the first to detail a member of the Trump campaign having knowledge of Russian efforts to interfere in the 2016 presidential election while it was ongoing.

U.S. District Judge Randolph Moss said that Papadopoulos’ deception was “not a noble lie” and that he had lied because he wanted a job in the Trump administration and didn’t want to jeopardize that possibility by being tied to the Russia investigation.

“In some ways it constitutes a calculated exercise of self interest over the national interest,” the judge said.

3 Responses to “DePaul alum who triggered Russia investigation sentenced”

1. Skye on September 11th, 2018 11:31 am

Not certain where to begin, I was overwhelmed lately trying to get out of a funk situation in a relationship. My fiancé was a whole other story. He was downright hurtful and ungrateful; his life and belongings were in shambles. He was someone addicted to drugs and women. He liked hiding behind excuses, giving me reasons to live a reckless life.
    But we share great bond, we can’t let go because we aren’t perfect after all.
    One thing we needed was someone or a spell doctor that will place himself in our spot to cure or tell us how easy it is to maintain or build a relationship surrounded by true love and healthy living.
    However, the reality of my story is that Dr. Wakina via (dr.wakinalovetemple@gmail.com) with a succeeding love spell made sure none of my pipe dreams at the expenses of a broken heart become reality.

2. Olivia Stephen form Tx,USA on September 11th, 2018 11:26 pm

I Need My Ex Boyfriend Back Post Comment Contact:Unityspelltemple@gmail.com …..My name is Olivia Stephen form Tx,USA, I almost took my life because of my husband who left me and stop picking my calls answering my mails and my messages. He said He do not trust me anymore, I tried to convince and beg him, but he will not believe or answer me until we had a fight and broke up for 6months, after then I realize I can not live without him because of the love I have for him. I tried everything possible to get him back, but non worked for me, some fake spell casters scammed me and went away with my money until I came across this man called Dr Unity he helped me cast a spell for me and behold my husband came back after 28 hours, begging me for forgiveness, I was so surprised that spell caster like Dr Unity still exist. If anyone here needs some help, with all sincerity, contact Dr Unity today On Unityspelltemple@gmail.com ,you can also call him or add him on whats-app: +2348071622464.

3. Nicole Travolta on September 16th, 2018 5:10 pm

Hey everyone
    I’m so excited. My ex-boyfriend is back after few months of breakup, I’m extremely happy that will are living together again. My boyfriend of 4yr just broke up with me and am 30 weeks pregnant. I have cried myself to sleep most of the nights and don’t seem to concentrate during lectures sometimes I stay awake almost all night thinking about him and start to cry all over again. Because of this I end up not having energy for my next day’s classes, my attendance has dropped and am always in uni and on time. Generally he is a very nice guy, he ended it because he said we were arguing a lot and not getting along. He is right we’ve been arguing during the pregnancy a lot .After the break up I kept ringing him and telling him I will change. I am in love with this guy and he is the best guy I have ever been with. I’m still hurt and in disbelief when he said he didn’t have any romantic feelings towards me anymore that hurt me faster than a lethal syringe. He texts me now and then mainly to check up on how am doing with the pregnancy, he is supportive with it but it’s not fair on me, him texting me as I just want to grieve the pain and not have any stress due to the pregnancy.
    I was really upset and I needed help, so I searched for help online and I came across a website that suggested that Dr Ahmed can help solve marital problems, restore broken relationships and so on. So, I felt I should give him a try. I contacted him and he told me what to do and I did it then he did a spell for me. 17 hours later, my bf came to me and apologized for the wrongs he did and promise never to do it again. Ever since then, everything has returned back to normal. I and my bf are living together happily again…
    All thanks to Dr Ahmed if you have any marital, relationship or divorces problem contact Dr Ahmed now and I guarantee you that he will help you.
    Here’s his contact.
    Call/what’s-app: +2348160153829
    Email: Ahmedutimate@gmail.com

• Nation & World

Grim Warnings for White House, Republicans ahead of election

• Nation & World

Florence death toll swells to 14 as rivers rise  

• DePaul alum who triggered Russia investigation sentenced

Nation & World

DePaul and Loyola respond to sexual abuse coverup

• Nation & World

Palestinian stabs American-Israeli man to death

Nation & World

Trump calls for Justice Dept. investigation of op-ed writer

Nation & World

Democrats make final attempt to block Kavanaugh nomination

Nation & World

Putting the meaning back into Memorial Day

Nation & World

Bill aims to teach LGBT history

Nation & World

Building Big Brother: China’s new frontier

Nation & World

A deeper look into terrorism