Filed under Nation & World

Summit on clergy sex abuse light on concrete action

Giuseppe Lami | Pool Photo Via AP

Giuseppe Lami | Pool Photo Via AP

Giuseppe Lami | Pool Photo Via AP

Pope Francis and some of the world’s most influential leaders in the church gathered at the Vatican Feb. 21-24 for an unprecedented summit on counteracting clerical sexual abuse of minors.

Pope Francis convened the historic summit to further address the same issue that has dampened the church’s reputation for decades.

The church has been facing immense pressure because of the lack of concrete solutions it has put into place to address the problem, as well as the slow pace of reforms.

Judy Jones, the Midwest regional leader at Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests, said victims are not pleased with the actions that took place at the summit.

“Victims are very disappointed with Pope Francis and the papal summit; it ended with just more words and not decisive actions,” she said.

At the summit, the pope encouraged bishops to take stern action against abusive clergy members and to embrace accountability in protecting faithful Catholics in their respective dioceses.

But Jones believes that abuse should be immediately reported to law enforcement instead of being dealt with internally by the church.

“SNAP calls for the pope to compel bishops around the world to turn their files over to law enforcement for independent investigations into their handling of clergy sex abuse cases,” she said.

While victims and their advocates generally remained dissatisfied with the outcome of the event, some say momentous strides were made last weekend in Vatican City. William Cavanaugh, a professor of Catholic studies at DePaul, said the summit proved that the problem of clergy sex abuse needs to be dealt with on a global stage.

“There are parts of the world where people in the church are denying that it is a problem. The summit showed that this is something that needs to be dealt with in a worldwide manner,” he said.

While abusive priests are sometimes punished within the church, Cavanaugh believes that bishops, who oversee priests, also need to be disciplined for covering up priests’ actions.

“It needs to happen in a more regular way; there needs to be a procedure for disciplining and removing bishops,” he said.

Sister Mary Paul McCaughey, coordinator of the Catholic Educational Leadership Program at DePaul, said she believes reforms are coming.

“The insidious and blatant evil of both the abuse and its cover up must be addressed in action,” she said. “As a part of that mandate, I believe the United States bishops will soon refine something very concrete, including addressing the betrayal of the cover-ups and a culture of clerical entitlement.”

Although there is still no concrete policy set in stone, perhaps the biggest takeaway of the summit is that the highest-ranking officials in the church seem ready to confess their mistakes.

“The summit was the modern equivalent of a sinner kneeling on the steps of the Cathedral,” said McCaughey. “This acknowledgement of sin, however, is not enough — the takeaway is in the action for justice, healing, and the dismantling of any system or attitude which allowed this cancer.”

4 Responses to “Summit on clergy sex abuse light on concrete action”

1. Chryssy Berry from USA on March 19th, 2019 10:14 pm

After 12years of marriage, me and my husband has been into one quarrel or the other until he finally left me and moved to California to be with another woman. I felt my life was over and my kids thought they would never see their father again. i tried to be strong just for the kids but i could not control the pains that torments my heart, my heart was filled with sorrows and pains because i was really in love with my husband. Every day and night i think of him and always wish he could come back to me, I was really worried and i needed help, so i searched for help online and I came across a website that suggested that Dr Unity can help get ex back fast. So, I felt I should give him a try. I contacted him and he told me what to do and i did it then he did a Love spell for me. 11hours later, my husband really called me and told me that he miss me and the kids so much, So Amazing!! So that was how he came back that same day,with lots of love and joy,and he apologized for his mistake,and for the pain he caused me and the kids. Then from that day,our Marriage was now stronger than how it were before, All thanks to Dr Unity. he is so powerful and i decided to share my story on the internet that Dr.Unity is real spell caster who i will always pray to live long to help his children in the time of trouble, if you are here and you need your ex lover back or save your marriage fast. Do not cry anymore, contact this powerful spell caster Dr.Unity now. Here’s his contact: Call/WhatsApp him: +2348071622464 ,Email him at: Unityspelltemple@gmail.com .

2. Natasha Wanderly on March 28th, 2019 11:10 pm

After 12years of marriage, me and my husband has been into one quarrel or the other until he finally left me and moved to California to be with another woman. I felt my life was over and my kids thought they would never see their father again. i tried to be strong just for the kids but i could not control the pains that torments my heart, my heart was filled with sorrows and pains because i was really in love with my husband. Every day and night i think of him and always wish he could come back to me, I was really worried and i needed help, so i searched for help online and I came across a website that suggested that Dr Unity can help get ex back fast. So, I felt I should give him a try. I contacted him and he told me what to do and i did it then he did a Love spell for me. 11hours later, my husband really called me and told me that he miss me and the kids so much, So Amazing!! So that was how he came back that same day,with lots of love and joy,and he apologized for his mistake,and for the pain he caused me and the kids. Then from that day,our Marriage was now stronger than how it were before, All thanks to Dr Unity. he is so powerful and i decided to share my story on the internet that Dr.Unity is real spell caster who i will always pray to live long to help his children in the time of trouble, if you are here and you need your ex lover back or save your marriage fast. Do not cry anymore, contact this powerful spell caster Dr.Unity now. Here’s his contact: Call/WhatsApp him: +2348071622464 ,Email him at: Unityspelltemple@gmail.com

3. carl vanny on April 3rd, 2019 5:07 am

Contact Dr Gbojie if you want to get your Husband, Wife, Boyfriend and Girlfriend back now and regain your happiness.

Hi i am from USA I have just experience the wonders of Dr. gbojie love spell, that have been spread on the internet and worldwide, How he marvelously helped people all over the world to restored back their marriage life and get back lost lovers, and also help to win lottery. I contacted him after going through so many testimonies from different people how he help to bring back ex lover back, i told him about my husband that abandoned me about 8 months ago, and left home with all i had.. Dr GBOJIE only told me to smile and have a rest of mind he will handle all in just 24 hours, After the second day my husband called me, i was just so shocked, i pick the call and couldn’t believe my ears, he was really begging me to forgive him and making promises on phone.. He came back home and also got me a new car just for him to proof his love for me. i was so happy and called Dr Gbojie and thanked him, he only told me to share the good news all over the world .. Well if you need an effective and real spell caster contact Dr gbojie Via email: gbojiespiritualtemple@gmail.com , or Call or WhatsApp: +2349066410185

4. Jante on April 5th, 2019 8:48 pm

Dr. Miracle Herbal Medicine Is A Good Remedy For Herpes, I Was A carrier of Herpes and I saw a testimony on how Dr. Miracle, cure Herpes, I decided to contact him, I contacted him and he guided me. I asked him for solutions and he started the remedies for my health. After he finish casting the spell, he told me to go for check up, could you believe that i was confirm herpes negative after the test, and i went to a different hospital and it was also negative, i am so happy today because i’m free from herpes disease with the help of Dr. Miracle. Thank God, now everything is fine, I’m cured by Dr.Miracle,herbal medicine, I’m very thankful to Dr. Miracle, Reach Him On ((MiracleSpellHome@yahoo.com)) Or What App Him Or Call: +39(349)549- 4143,,, DOCTOR MIRACLE CAN AS WELL CURE THE FOLLOWING DISEASE:- (1). HERPES( 2). HIV/AIDS (3). CANCER ALL KINDS (4). Hepatitis A,B,C (5)Pregnant (6) Penis Enlargement ,,,,

• Summit on clergy sex abuse light on concrete action

Nation & World

States chart own path on protecting immigrants

Nation & World

Argentina’s Macri faces growing discontent amid economic woes

Nation & World

Hong Kong legislature brawl shows deep divisions over extradition law

Nation & World

Trump plan would shift immigration focus to ‘merit’

Nation & World

Why don’t we vote like Australia?

Nation & World

Alabama ban on nearly all abortions in GOP governor’s hands

Nation & World

China retaliates on tariffs, stock markets go into a slide

Nation & World

Pentagon report: Sexual assault in U.S. military increased for female service members

Nation & World

Beyond Meat IPO shows growing appetite for alternative meat products

Nation & World

UN report warns of dire future for nature