Filed under Nation & World

Catastrophic fire engulfs Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris

Flames rise from Notre Dame cathedral as it burns in Paris, Monday, April 15, 2019. Massive plumes of yellow brown smoke is filling the air above Notre Dame Cathedral and ash is falling on tourists and others around the island that marks the center of Paris.

AP Photo/Thibault Camus

AP Photo/Thibault Camus

AP Photo/Thibault Camus

PARIS (AP) โ€” A massive fire engulfed the roof of Notre Dame Cathedral in the heart of the French capital Monday, toppling its spire and sending thick plumes of smoke high into the blue sky as tourists and Parisians looked on aghast from the streets below.

A spokesman said the entire wooden frame of the cathedral would likely come down, and that the vault of the edifice could be threatened too.

“Everything is burning, nothing will remain from the frame,” Notre Dame spokesman Andre Finot told French media. The 12th-century cathedral is home to incalculable works of art and is one of the world’s most famous tourist attractions.

The cause of the catastrophic blaze was not known, but French media quoted the Paris fire brigade as saying the fire is “potentially linked” to a 6 million-euro ($6.8 million) renovation project on the church’s spire and its 250 tons of lead. Paris police said there were no reported deaths.

Flames shot out of the roof behind the nave of the cathedral, among the most visited landmarks in the world. Sights of the flames stopped passers-by in their tracks along the Seine River that passes beneath the cathedral.

French President Emmanuel Macron postponed a televised speech to the nation because of the stunning blaze and was going to the cathedral himself.

French historian Camille Pascal told BFM broadcast channel the fire was destroying “invaluable heritage.”

“It’s been 800 years that the Cathedral watches over Paris”, Pascal said. “Happy and unfortunate events for centuries have been marked by the bells of Notre Dame.”

He recalled that Notre Dame bells sounded the death knell following the 2015 Paris attacks.

“We can be only horrified by what we see”, Pascal said.

Associated Press reporters at the scene saw massive plumes of yellow brown smoke filling the air above the Cathedral and ash falling on the island that houses Notre Dame and marks the center of Paris.

Paris Mayor Anne Hidalgo is in despair at the “terrible fire.” Hidalgo said in a Twitter message that Paris firefighters are still trying to limit the fire and urged Paris citizens to respect the security perimeter that has been set around the cathedral.

Hidalgo said Paris authorities are in touch with Paris diocese.

One Response to “Catastrophic fire engulfs Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris”

1. Michelle Manes on April 18th, 2019 1:59 pm

I want to use this means to let the world know that all hope is not lost Getting pregnant after having tubes clamped and burned, I know IVF and Reversal could help but it way too cost, i couldn’t afford it either and i so desire to add another baby to my family been trying for 5 years, not until i came across Priest Babaka, who cast a pregnancy/Fertility spell for me and i got pregnant.l hope that women out there who are going through the same fears and worries l went through in GETTING PREGNANT , will find your contact as i drop it here on this site, and solution will come to them as they contact you. Thank you and God bless you to reach him email via: babaka.wolf@gmail.com or Facebook at priest.babaka

• Catastrophic fire engulfs Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris

Nation & World

Trump tried to seize control of Mueller probe, report says

Nation & World

Young woman ‘infatuated’ with Columbine is found dead

Nation & World

Netanyahu wins, quashes hopes for new beginning

Nation & World

M87 black hole photo a first-of-its-kind scientific milestone

Nation & World

‘Unwanted touching’ allegations unlikely to sink Biden

Nation & World

Trump ‘strongly looking’ at releasing migrants in Dem cities

Nation & World

Judge convicts WikiLeaks founder of breaching bail

Nation & World

Loughlin, husband and 14 parents face new charge in college admissions scam

Nation & World

Homeland Security secretary resigns, shake-up in department speeds ahead

Nation & World

Tesla seeks affordability with new SUV, cheaper Model 3