Filed under Opinions

OPINION: DePaul Student Government Association makes case for greater involvement

Leadership cannot exist in a vacuum. In order for effective public servants to emerge and achieve success, they depend upon the voice of constituents. At DePaul, positive change is directly related to the efforts afforded by individuals who relentlessly pursue justice for these constituents: our student body.

It is easy for student voices at comparative institutions to get lost in the shuffle of administrative priorities, donor contributions and evolving trends within academia. DePaul’s new strategic plan, Grounded in the Mission, however, seeks to involve students at every level. Last academic year, students joined staff, faculty and the Board of Trustees to compose the university’s six different strategic priorities for the following six years. Now, students are invited to further expand these points to move from what must be done to answer how it needs to happen.

The Student Government Association is seeking responses from the Blue Demon community to answer this question of how to best implement the new strategic priorities. Just how do we want to see DePaul “ensure a welcoming, engaging, diverse, and inclusive campus environment?” How can DePaul better “excel in preparing all students for global citizenship and success?” We know DePaul buzzwords such as “diversity” and “Vincentian leadership” can appear frequently without clearly and student-defined meanings, and this campaign is the students’ opportunity to share with administration how our university should conceptualize such ideas.

The background for the new strategic plan is a focus on further integrating the mission into all we do here at DePaul. Within this mission is the holistic care for inherent human dignity. To truly care for our student body, we must respond to its needs completely and thoroughly. We want “success” for our students, but the only way we can implement structures and resources to bridge points A and B is to develop a greater understanding of what success looks like for DePaul students. How does the “Catholic, Vincentian, urban mission” factor into your success plan? How do you see “high-quality, affordable academic programs” propelling you toward your personal, professional and academic goals? How can DePaul better respond to the goals you and your peers have set for your future?

SGA members have the opportunity to sit at the table where such discussions are already taking place. But our own limited experiences here at DePaul cannot be the only way to back up our voices. We can only call ourselves effective leaders if the changes we propose directly link to the needs of our community. We urge members of the greater DePaul community to read more about Grounded in the Mission: DePaul 2024, respond to SGA’s social media posts and submit ideas to sga@depaul.edu by April 25. New or improved initiatives that can earn university strategic funding are encouraged and SGA will ensure that the administration recognizes and understands the needs of the student body and takes strategic action.

How can DePaul better respond to what must be done? What do we need from our university? Let us know, and let’s work together to make it happen.

8 Responses to “OPINION: DePaul Student Government Association makes case for greater involvement”

1. Ben H. on April 23rd, 2019 9:19 pm

How about we change the plan’s name. Grounded in Mission? “Grounded” has too many negative connotations. Next, we should ask President Esteban to donate much more of his excessive 1M+ yearly salary to support student scholarships. Finally, a strategic planning process that actually incorporated feedback from students, faculty, and staff would have yielded a far better plan. Let’s start again, but with better leadership.

2. Sam hunt on April 29th, 2019 12:53 pm

My herpes is cured and it’s miracle healing. Thanks to Dr.ASAKASUKU who cure my Genital Herpes
    I was depressed when doctor told me that I have been diagnosed with Herpes disease… I thought about my Family, I know my Family will face a serious problem when I’m gone, I lost hope and I wept all day, but one day I was searching the internet I found Dr.ASAKASUKU contact number. +2349064038282 called him and he guided me. I asked him for solutions and he started the remedies for my health. Thank God, now everything is fine, I’m cured by Dr.ASAKASUKU medicine, I’m very thankful to Dr.ASAKASUKU and very happy with my hubby and family. email him on drasakasukuherbalsolutionhome@gmail.com or you can also reach him through Whats App number+2349064038282
    He can also cure so many sickness
    {1}HIV And AIDS
    {2}Diabetes
    {3}Epilepsy
    {4}Blood Cancer
    {5}HPV
    {7}ALS
    {8}Hepatitis {9}Low spam count. {10}Fibroid. {11}pregnancy.

3. melisa eva on May 1st, 2019 3:19 pm

TESTIMONY OF HOW I GOT CURED FROM GENITAL HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS WITHIN 7DAYS[with Herbal Traditional medicine]. I was just 25 when I contracted Genital herpes.Other than the first two months of being symptomatic, for the next two years, I never had any relapses. So, it was no big deal to me.Then, when I was 27, 90\% of my days, nights, weeks and months were spent having constant, chronic, painful, blistering, itching, oozing and extremely contagious sores encompassing every layer of skin surrounding my genitals, anus and thighs.No sooner did one area heal then another outbreak occurred. When those sores healed, the previously healed area would crop up again, and so on and so on . . . Believe me, I tried everything including BHT, Lysine, acyclovir, creams, lotions, toothpaste, zorivax 5\% cream and pills too, bleach, (I would dab it on with a q-tip), ice, anything and everything.As if the sores weren’t enough, there was the horrid pain of neuralgia, which I experienced on every part of my body, (you can’t imagine how painful it gets when it’s on your face!). . When I took a shower, even though the water temperature was normal, it would feel like hot drops of grease or cold drops of sleet.On one faithful day i read a testimony on internet of a lady who was cure by doctor Mustafa ,so i contacted the same herbalist who cure the lady and when i contacted him he told one one thing that anyone who contact him receive his/her healing in 7days and i was amazed when he said that and he told me what to do , i did what he ask me to do so after that he prepare the herbal medicine and send to me through DHL courier delivery service and i take the herbs for 1 week and after 1 week i went to the hospital for test only to find out that i have been cure from the deadly disease. He also specialize on, URINARY TRACT INFECTION, HERPES 1& 2 CANCER, IMPOTENCE, BARENESS/INFERTILITY DIARRHEA AGORAPHOBIA, ASTHMA… HIV/AIDS …HE IS THE ONLY HERBALIST THAT HAVE CURE FOR ORAL AND GENITAL HERPES,TRY AND SEE FOR YOUR SELF… you can contact him through this email Herbalremedies21@gmail.com call or whatsapp him on this +2347010821863.

4. Nancy May on May 3rd, 2019 4:03 pm

Hey everyone!
    Today I come to you with so much excitement!
    I have been married & barren for 5years i had no child. i have never been pregnant i was a subject of laughter from my Friends & neighbors, i almost lost my marriage because of this issue . i was so confused that i did not know what to do until i came across this great Dr Ahmed online and i contacted him at once i was scared weather it was going to work because i never believed things like this before, so i decided to give it a try and i did all what Dr Ahmed asked of me and today to my greatest surprise i took in the first time and i gave birth to a bouncing baby boy and now my marriage that was about crashing before is now restored. my husband now love and want me better, Am so happy for everything that have been happening my life since i met this Dr Ahmed.
    I want to tell all the women out there who have a similar situation like that the world is not over YET they should dry up their tears and contact this great man and their problem will be gone or are you also having other problems you can also contact Dr Ahmed, here is how you can contact him Ahmedutimate@gmail.com or Contact him via his whats-app number +2348160153829.
    Thanks

5. Anita jackson on May 4th, 2019 2:44 pm

I WANT TO USE THIS OPPORTUNITY TO SAY A VERY BIG THANK YOU TO DR MUSTAFA
    My name is Anita Jackson i am so happy to share this testimony on how Dr.Mustafa healed me from genital herpes. i was detected with genital herpes around 4th may 2015, and ever since that day i have been looking for a way to end this virus from my body, but the more i try, the more i was told there was no solution. Few months ago i saw a testimony of some people on how Dr.Mustafa cure them of HERPES VIRUS, i also heard about it on media when a young lady also gave her testimony saying Dr.Mustafa cured her oral herpes. I was left with no other hope than to contact Dr.Mustafa and give him a try. I contacted him and told him what i was going through. He said he could heal me, that he is going to send me a herbal medicine which i should pay for.I did as he requested, and He sent the medicine as he promised. I took this herbal medicine for some weeks and it was obvious that his medicine was for real, because the herpes started clearing from my body. Later at the 3rd week, i went for medical check up and i was surprised when my doctor told me he found no trace of the virus in me again. At first when he told me, i was so shock and still did not believed until he gave me my test result. to make my story short i am now free from herpes, after many months of sorrow and my sickness is gone, i thank God for leading me to this man, and i want to also lead you to him if you have any illness like HIV, HPV, hepatitis B, asthma, cancer you can email him on Herbalremedies21@gmail.com or whats-app +2347010821863.

6. Kenedy Jacob on May 8th, 2019 10:06 pm

I was diagnosed with herpes since I was a child. My mother has them too, and does nothing to stop the

spread. it was hard to not kiss my children all the time, but they grow up knowing that “when mommy

has a lip owie, she can’t kiss.” They give me kisses on my forehead instead and we have extra hugs.

It was also very painful to not kiss my partner. However, I was 100% determined to not pass this on

to anyone, especially those I love.I mostly want to thank those who feel the way I do.
    dr saibu health herbs home helped me and my family to find happiness and peace ,their herbal remedies

for herpes works like miracle,i was totally cured of herpes virus within 5 weeks of usage . for your

herpes cure contact them today
    order online via call or whatsapp +2349023679965 address…
    you can also email them via ogidiganherbalhome@gmail.com

they also have cure to the following …
    HIV and AIDS
    DIABETES
    CANCERS
    ALS
    god bless us all !

7. ose joy on May 13th, 2019 7:24 pm

i want to inform the public how i was cured of HERPES Simplex Virus by a
    Doctor called Dr.Aikhomu. i visited different hospital but they gave me list
    of drugs like Famvir, Zovirax, and Valtrex which is very expensive to treat
    the symptoms and never cured me. I was browsing through the Internet
    searching for remedy on HERPES and i saw comment of people talking about
    how Doctor Aikhomu cured them. I Was scared because i never believed in the
    Internet but i was convince to give him a try because i was having no hope
    of been cured of HERPES so i decided to contact him on his email, i
    searched his email on net and i saw a lot of people testifying about his
    goodness. when i contacted him he gave me hope and send a Herbal medicine
    to me that i took and it seriously worked for me, am a free person now
    without problem, my HERPES result came out negative. You can contact him on
    his Email: draikhomuherbalhome@gmail.com or CALL/ whatsappl him +2348100962873 or whatsapp and get all
    your problem solved.
    1)Sickness of any kind
    2)Help to CURE Hepatitis B, HIV/AIDs CANCER and BIPOLAR
    3)Divorce, Breakup problem and To Re-unit
    4)Pregnancy problem
    5)Financial problem and Job promotion
    6)To get a good and rich life partner
    7)To Lose your wath
    8)to enlargement of pennis

8. Angela Vaire on May 19th, 2019 11:39 am

God bless Dr. IYOHA for his marvelous work in my life, I was diagnosed of HERPES since 2003 and I was taking my medications, I wasn’t satisfied i needed to get the HERPES out of my system, I searched about some possible cure for HERPES i saw a comment about Dr. IYOHA, how he cured HERPES with his herbal medicine, I contacted him and he guided me. I asked for solutions, he started the remedy for my health, he sent me the medicine through UPS SPEED POST. I took the medicine as prescribed by him and 2 weeks later i was cured from HERPES, Dr. IYOHA truly you are great, do you need his help also? Why don’t you contact him through: (driyohasolutiontemple@yahoo.com) or you can also reach him on phone: +1 (408) 805 7429

DOCTOR IYOHA CAN AS WELL CURE THE FOLLOWING DISEASE:-

HIV/AIDS
    HERPES
    CANCER
    ALS
    STD
    HEPATITIS B
    VAGINAL ODOR

Contact him today and get your problem solved..