DePaul students brace the cold in style

Maddy Maes

Left: Austin DeVine (freshman) Right: Jackie Pomeroy-Tso (freshman)

For some of us, setting aside time to pick out an outfit is unnecessary. Of course we have to get dressed every day, but it’s rarely more effort than pouring a glass of water. On the other hand, some people thrive on the feeling of selecting the perfect outfit for the day.

It can be difficult to focus on anything other than coursework during finals week, but that hasn’t stopped DePaul students from dressing sharply this winter season.

“I have no idea how some people manage to look fashionable during exams or just during class in general,” said Alli Hacker, a member of DePaul Fashion Society. “And I don’t mean that in a judgmental tone — kudos to them. I wish I could be them!”

“When I put together an outfit, it feels like I’m doing something for myself,” said Callie Beier, a community psych graduate student at DePaul. “It’s self-care in a way. I can think about myself for 5 or 10 minutes and how I want to present myself to the world that day.”

While there can be an endless amount of stress during these times, pivoting attention away from finals and spending just a few minutes on an outfit can make a meaningful difference in how a person feels throughout the day.

“I think fashion is a distraction — in a good way,” said Hannah Lau, president of DePaul Fashion Society. “Even if you don’t pass that test, you’ll still look cute.”

Fashion isn’t all about what other people think of someone’s outfit — rather, it’s a way for students to feel more confident. DePaul students put together their outfits not for others, but for themselves.

“It’s just fun to feel put-together,” Lau said. “I don’t really think about how people will perceive me, but more so it boosts my confidence to know that I’m prepared for the day.”

Not only does fashion help students to feel more organized and ready to take on the day, but it’s a powerful outlet for individuality and inventiveness.

“It’s amazing to exercise creativity when your mind is so preoccupied with responsibilities and obligations,” Hacker said.

“Fashion is an extension of someone’s creativity,” Lau said. “Whether someone is interested in being comfy and adventurous, rather bold and colorful, you can tell how they define themselves within those parts of fashion.”

As winter approaches, students are starting to transition from fall fashion — switching from light jackets to heavier, warmer coats. In accordance with this seasonal shift, DePaul students are rocking the newest fashion trends, all the while putting unique twists on outfits.

“I think we’ll be seeing typical winter layering, but with turtlenecks and leather [or] suede button vests,” Hacker said.

With the colder weather coming in, finding ways to look fashionable while also staying warm can be a hassle. Luckily, layering is one essential and long-standing winter fashion trend.

“My favorite part of winter fashion is being able to layer and layer,” Lau said. “It’s all about how you can stay warm and feel good even though it’s chilly.”

A handful of trends follow in winter’s wake, including knit sweaters, funky furry coats and all kinds of different boots.

“Some of the main trends I’ve been seeing are higher knee boots, geometric patterns, ski pants, leather and even color clashing,” Lau said.

“My favorite trends are chunky boots and [the color] brown,” Beier said. “I think sometimes people think that brown is boring, but you can find really elegant pieces and pair them with something bold and chunky boots for a sophisticated yet fun look.”

Even though neutral colors such as brown are a staple during the winter, some DePaul students are swapping out cooler tones for brighter ones this season.

Even certain colors are making their way into the trends, DePaul students are swapping out neutrals and finding brighter colors to express themselves with.

“I’m so sick of neutrals in the winter,” Hacker said. “I love seeing powder blue, forest green and all the shades of red around Christmas, gem tones around New Years, and pinks, purples, reds and even buttercup yellow shades.”

As finals come and go, Chicago weather is slowly but surely getting colder and colder, which means we will be seeing a lot more of these exciting winter fashion trends.