Annual CHIRP Record Fair and Other Delights creates community through music

Thanks to technology, many different aspects of life have become more accessible. The Internet gives us access to hundreds of thousands of songs. However, not too long ago, people listened to music on vinyl records. Today, people still sometimes enjoy listening to records. At the 12th Annual CHIRP Record Fair and Other Delights on Saturday, this is exactly what they celebrated.  CHIRP Radio is an independent, community radio station, and this was reflected in the event itself.

Walking into the Chicago Journeymen Plumbers’ Hall, the atmosphere was, in one word, communal. The main hall was open, with tables arranged around the perimeter and throughout the center. On the stage, different DJs played music ranging from ’50s “doo-wop” to ’70s and ’80s rock, and even present-day hits. The record options on sale were just as diverse. There were records of Kiss, The Beatles, Ella Fitzgerald and Paul Simon to name a few. There were also CDs, some DVDs, posters and even Kiss figurines. The vendors were either new or veterans to the vendor scene. Some people independently brought their own records and memorabilia to sell, while others were from record stores from around city, or outside the city as well (such as Second Hand Tunes from Evanston). In total, there were 60 vendors, and the projected number of visitors was around 1,000.

Food was provided by Big Star and served inside the main hall of Upton’s Breakroom, just up the stairs from the open vending area. Dark Matters Coffee Roasters provided coffee earlier in the day, while Goose Island provided beer for those in attendance later in the day. Vendors were bustling around, also interacting with customers as much as they can. The overall atmosphere was good-natured and relaxed, and the day ran smoothly and was enjoyable.

Records were such an integral part of many peoples’ lives when they first came out. They would buy them, and listen to them with friends and family. In present day, the music experience is not quite the same. Most people, besides concerts and sometimes parties, do not listen to music together. Many people listen to music alone – plugging in their headphones – to help the train ride pass quickly. While people can still listen to and share music with other people, there is a sense of singularity in the music experience now. Even with expansion of music access, many people listen to the music on their own.           

Community is an incredibly important aspect of life. It involves human interaction and connection while creating a sense of belonging; music is an effective way of perpetuating this. CHIRP Radio was able to create a community and bring people together through the sharing and selling of music records. They created a fun day for people in attendance, and people who likely might not have even met before were able to establish connections and discuss something they were mutually passionate about. Also, people could even be exposed to music they may never have listened to before.