Buffalo Exchange pop up store rolls through Chicago

Buffalo Exchange is at the forefront of clothing resale. One of the first stores of its kind to buy, sell and trade clothing, the company first opened its doors in Tucson, Ariz. in 1974 and now has 46 stores and three franchises throughout the United States.

To celebrate its 40th Anniversary and their customers, Buffalo Exchange will drive to all of its locations in a renovated 1969 Airstream trailer. The trailer will be filled with rare vintage finds and limited edition Buffalo Exchange products like T-shirts, buttons and reusable bags. The trailer will stop in Chicago Saturday, April 19, at the Wicker Park location.

Luckily, Buffalo Exchange’s Earth Day $1 Sale is also that Saturday and will be located under the Damen Blue Line stop. The sale will include special items that have been selected and saved throughout the year by staff members. All proceeds from this sale will be donated to the Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum to raise awareness for pollination conservation. Kerstin Block, president and co-owner of Buffalo Exchange will be also at the event on Saturday. Wicker Park manager Kelly Wolfe encourages customers to arrive early and bring cash for this event because it will be a busy day.

And if you’re not into thrifting, at least stop by to support your local musicians and watch the band Lucky Dutch play an acoustic set in front of the store at 2 p.m.

It is hard to ignore the resurgence of resale clothing stores and the rise in popularity of so-called “thrifting.” As a result of the ever-changing economy and retro fashion trends coming onto the scene, buying used or gently worn clothes has become popular. Many choose to buy used clothes to be cost and environmentally friendly. Donating used or out-of-fashion clothes to a resale store also promotes recycling, and it can put a few extra bucks in your pocket.