Stump the Spring Quarter slump

In Chicago, spring is a time of overdue and much welcome warmer temperatures – at least most of the time. For students on the quarter system, spring is also a time of procrastination, mostly due to those warmer temperatures. Love it or hate it, DePaul’s quarter system might pay off during those six weeks of winter break bliss, but come springtime, the quarter system can become a burden that is all too real. But just because it’s almost summer doesn’t mean you can adopt a summertime attitude. Spring quarter is one-third of the academic year, assuming you don’t take any summer classes, and your grades matter. Follow these tips to avoid spring fever and finish out the year strong academically. Summer will be that much more satisfying when you know you passed your classes and – hopefully – have a GPA for which you can be proud.

Ô_

Slow and steady

There are eight weeks left in the quarter, which leaves you with ample time to divvy up your coursework. Joseph Ferrari, a psychology professor who has studied procrastination, has some tricks for conquering this task. “Given that there are only 10 weeks in a quarter, break tasks down into five two-week clusters,” Ferrari said. “Do small tasks one by one. Do what you can and remember, a body in motion stays in motion.” More than in Fall and Winter Quarters, it’s important to plan ahead in the spring so you’re not left with final projects in June. If it’s hard to concentrate on homework in April when it may still be snowing, imagine how hard it will be in June when beach weather sets in.

Ô_

Inside knowledge

As evidenced by the first few warm days of the quarter, many students flock to the outdoors, books and laptops in hand, to do their homework in the spring. While the warm weather and sun may brighten your mood and help you get some reading done, the outdoors is also full of distractions. Ferrari says this applies to having class outside, too. “I think taking classes outside on lawns makes it even worse,” he said. “Maybe, those classes taught in air-conditioned, windowless rooms might have an advantage this time.” Leave the outdoors for play time rather than work time, for the most part. You’ll likely be more productive inside and then have even more time to enjoy the outside later.

Ô_

Give me a break

Just because it might be a bad choice to do homework outside doesn’t mean you should avoid the outdoors altogether. Nor do you have to stay inside until you finish every assignment. Taking a break to walk or run outside can boost your mood and freshen your mind when you hit the books again. A study published in The Journal of Attention Disorders in 2008 found that children with attention deficit problems focused better after going on “green” walks than children who did not go on walks. You aren’t a child, and you might not have an attention deficit disorder, but taking advantage of the newly sprouting green spaces in between assignments will likely improve your focus, too.

Ô_

Don’t go it alone

It can be easy to succumb to mounting pressure of your own to-do list, but don’t forget that your peers have to-do lists of their own. If you become infected with spring fever and fall behind in your work, don’t commiserate on your own. Commiserate with your friends. And then form a study group together. There is strength in numbers. And it’s not just your friends who struggle with spring fever. Ferrari says professors feel it, too. “(It’s) even hard for faculty to stay focused, especially after Memorial Day weekend,” he said. “We see others getting off and ending, maybe working summer jobs and here we are still in school.”

Ô_

Find the positive

We all enjoy the six-week winter break and the opportunities for travel, work or just time off. As a trade-off, DePaul students have to endure finals that edge into summer. The quarter system, however, has benefits that, for some, outweigh the spring quarter slump. For one, those classes that are especially challenging or that you just don’t like only last for 10 weeks. That is significantly less than the approximately 16- week semesters at other schools. Additionally, the quarter system allows students to take more classes. “I think having three terms gives students greater breadth of knowledge, and that is a good thing,” Ferrari said. The quarter system is to blame for the late spring term, but don’t forget its merits during the rest of the year. You’ll likely appreciate it again when semester schools start classes again in August and we’re still lounging on the beach.

Ô_

How do you avoid spring fever? 

Ô_

Hillary Foster 
Major: Health science, concentration in nursing 
Year: Sophomore

“I’m definitely a morning person, so I like to get up around 8 and come to one of the buildings here on campus and just study. There’s air conditioning, it’s nice, calming, and you’re not around distractions, but you can still see the beauty outside. Then later after class I definitely take advantage of going outside, going to the beach or whatever.”

Ô_

Jenny Ramirez
Major: HR management
Year: Senior

“In the winter it’s so much easier to just hop on the couch, all warm and comfy, and start reading. In the spring it is harder to concentrate … so I go outside and walk around for a little bit until I get tired. And then I come back with a fresh mind. That helps a little bit.”

Ô_

Alex Jagla
Major: Biology
Year: Junior

“I think it’s easier (to study in the spring). The weather’s nice, and I’m just tempted to get all my homework done early, so I can enjoy it … It definitely helps (to study outside). With the fresh air, it’s easier to think outside rather than being cooped up inside. I spent all winter inside, so now I go outside and study.”

Ô_

Eric Alvarez
Major: Pre-med
Year: Junior

“I think it’s a little harder (to study in the spring) because the weather’s all nice, and people usually want to do outdoor activities and all that kind of stuff. In the winter it’s easier because there are less distractions and you’re more used to seeing the indoors. I usually try to schedule out my day before I start taking all my classes. Schedule out that time to get stuff done, like homework. It’s just time management.”