Leveling Up’ at Steppenwolf’s Downstairs Theatre

Though the Steppenwolf’s newest show, “Leveling Up,” is “for young adults,” it transcends this title entirely. Its spirit and energy will keep the youngest of audiences entertained while its deeper implications will shake even the most weathered of theatergoers. The talented four-person cast offers a riveting, hilarious and thought-provoking production; its insinuations are haunting and will move both children and adults.

“Leveling Up”tells the story of four young friends. Jeannie, Chuck, Ian and Zander are stuck in the purgatory that is often elicited by college graduation. As they wrestle with job searches, relationships and personal turmoil, they find solace in video games, which allow them to escape from reality. Their fantasy worlds remain largely on a screen but when Ian begins working for the NSA because of his impressive technological skills, the line between illusion and reality become deeply blurred.

This production operates seamlessly because of the talent that inundates it from all angles. The play itself, written by Deborah Zoe Laufer, is a triumphant piece of work that elicits power all on its own. When this is paired with immaculate direction and flawless design, something special is born. The world of the play comes to life in a way that is hard to achieve and it does so seemingly effortlessly.

DePaul senior Shannon Shreibak enjoyed the performance in both its technical and emotional aspects.

“I think that “Leveling Up” addresses some pertinent topics that often go overlooked or underestimated,” Shreibak said. “The nuances of the stage construction (like the ticker displaying the actors’ lines chat room-style) all coalesced to create a relatable, engaging cautionary tale regarding the dangers of technology and escapism.”

Though the story takes place in a single room of an apartment there is a true sense of dynamism and movement in it. Transitions through time are marked by sound effects and projected images that blur the line between video game and wartime reality.

Each of the four talented cast members bring their characters to life while also displaying a striking awareness of the larger issues that “Leveling Up”tackles. This is an impressive balance to master and this cast achieves it masterfully.

Actor Jerry MacKinnon, who portrays the Chuck, is inimitable. His energy is infectious, his timing is impeccable, and he delivers both comedic relief and deep introspection. The authenticity with which he brings Chuck to life is a marvel.

“Leveling Up”is a delightful anomaly within its genre. Though it absolutely entertains it also pushes its audiences and asks them to contemplate the world outside of its story. The tale it tells and the characters it brings to life are fascinating and poignant but what makes this production so special is its ability to manifest itself outside the realm of the stage. Just as fantasy and reality become blurred for Jeannie, Chuck, Ian and Zander, the world of the stage and the world that we live in will become blurred for audience members.

“Leveling Up”will be at the Steppenwolf until March 15.