Review: SKATERS’ ‘Manhattan’ a perfect city soundtrack

As we inch our way out of this mess of a polar vortex, SKATERS’ debut album “Manhattan” provides the perfect soundtrack for living in the city during this sunny, drippy, frozen wonderland that is Chicago in the weeks leading up to spring.

Hailing from their adoptive city of New York, SKATERS’ garage-pop-meets-punk tracks on “Manhattan” are full of catchy lyrical angst reminiscent of The Walkmen and The Strokes, and weave daydreams of being young and running amok through the streets of New York City.

The 11 tracks feature Michael Ian Cummings’ gritty voice, attention-grabbing drumbeats and guitar riffs that will be stuck in your head all day long. The most notable songs on the album are “Miss Teen Massachusetts,” “I Wanna Dance (But I Don’t Know How)” Š—ê the most dance-inducing track on the album Š—ê and “Schemers,” which  oozes rock ‘n’ roll suggestive of punk legends The Ramones. 

The only clunker on the album is reggae-styled “Band Breaker,” which sticks out like a sore thumb but still manages to throw in some catchy lyrics. If anything, the reggae sound will at least inspire listeners to get into their summer groove a little earlier.

“Manhattan”is a killer debut album that will have you jamming to these New York transplants even after they put the tulips in to the planters’ downtown.