Goodman Theatre’s ‘Buzzer’: A devastating joy

Betrayal, sexism, racism and fear are only a few of the social epidemics that society grapples with on a daily basis. They are rooted in the very foundations of our culture but have somehow become taboo; we close our eyes and mouths in hopes that they will dissipate. However, the Goodman Theatre’s newest endeavor, written by Tracey Scott Wilson and directed by Jessica Thebus, faces them head-on. “Buzzer” provides a chronically heartbreaking, often hilarious, and always human view into the lives of three distinct individuals. As they grapple with their identities, iron out personal turmoil and wrestle with their roles in the process of gentrification, we can’t help but see a little of ourselves in every facet of their authenticity.

The production follows the journey of its three main characters intimately. Jackson (Eric Lynch) is a young and affluent African American man who moves into his ever-changing childhood neighborhood with his girlfriend, Suzy (Lee Stark), and his best friend Don (Shane Kenyon). Jackson’s former neighborhood is still blighted with poverty and crime, though the wealthy individuals who have begun to inundate it create a troubling incongruity that blurs the line between right and wrong. From the get-go, anxieties and apprehensions fester. The relationship between Jackson, Suzy and Don is deep and loving, though already strained by racial discrepancies, past encounters and the impending process of gentrification that all three immediately become immersed in the moment they move into their new home. As the story unfolds, all three are dragged more closely to their personal limits and when they reach the edge, their bonds are tested by the seething chaos that ensues.

I had the privilege of speaking with cast member Andy Lutz to gain even more insight into the Goodman’s beautiful new production. Lutz is a member of the ensemble as well as an understudy.

“I think that my main purpose is to understudy the character of Don,” Lutz explained. “That’s an amazing job, it’s an amazing character, and I feel so lucky to be in on rehearsals and see the performance grow and be ready to go on if they need me to. The ensemble character that I play is very, very quick. He is a tenant of the building that the characters have moved into in this neighborhood and he walks on a couple of times. I think my function is to show that they aren’t alone in the gentrification of this neighborhood. They are not an isolated entity; there are other people like them moving into this neighborhood. I also do a walk-on at the end of the show, which really puts a magnifying glass on the deeper meaning of the play.”

“Buzzer” is Lutz’s debut at the Goodman. He is a long-term admirer of the theater and his first experience working within its walls has already surpassed his expectations.

“It’s a place that I would work year-round, my whole life if I could,” he said. “It’s amazing. They take care of the artists so well. There is an investment in quality of life and there is an investment in artistic exploration there. It is really a place where I feel so proud to be an actor. I feel really taken care of and supported. I moved to Chicago four years ago and the Goodman is the theater that is always on my radar in terms of a place that I would want to work. It’s been an amazing experience, and I feel very lucky to have this employment. It’s one of the best theaters I’ve ever been to, and it’s one of the best theaters that I’ve ever worked at. The Goodman is so much of a personal community where I actually know people who are involved with the theater. I feel like I not only have support professionally but I have support personally. I am developing lasting friendships within the organization.”

Lutz’s experience with “Buzzer” has been profound, and he was hard-pressed to pinpoint a single favorite aspect of his involvement in this production.

“Being involved with the discovery and development of the story just as an onlooker has been extremely educational and rewarding to me as an artist,” he said. “I know that I will carry what I have learned to my future endeavors.”

While “Buzzer” tackles issues that are deep and often devastating, it is also abidingly hilarious. Its honesty creates an almost voyeuristic sentiment; there is a sense that you are witnessing something real unfolding, and that realism is sometimes tragic though it is also sidesplittingly funny.

“Don’t be afraid to respond and laugh,” Lutz said. “It’s very funny and there are some very human dynamics in the play. I would encourage audiences to feel free to have vocal responses and laugh and enjoy watching the relationships unfold.”

“Buzzer” is a treasure of a show; it holds up a mirror to our most personal experiences and blurs the line between the stage and reality. It is a touching, striking and relentlessly poignant production that would be an absolute shame to miss.

“Buzzer” will run at the Goodman until March 9.