Concert etiquette: Know before you go

Two weeks ago, DePaul hosted its annual “Winter Concert” featuring a little known artist by the name of Chance the Rapper. Despite selling out in record time, I had a last minute opportunity to attend the show at Chicago’s Lincoln Hall. In addition to an inspiring performance by one of the most talented young figures in hip-hop today, I witnessed what happens when several hundred DePaul undergraduates come together for a concert. In honor of what I saw that night and at several other shows across Chicago, I figured it was time we laid out some ground rules for seeing live music in the city.

Respect the Opener

Looks like you got to the show 10 minutes before doors, awesome! You’ll be getting a prime viewing location for tonight’s performance. You will also be sitting through at least an opener or two before the artist you came to see takes the stage. While this guitarist/band/acapella group may not pack the punch the Arctic Monkeys do, give them a moment of your time and at the very least don’t talk to your friends all through their set. I can assure you that they worked much harder to get here tonight than you did to score that last minute ticket.

Use Your Eyes, Not Your Phone

It’s the lighter’s sad 21st century replacement. The soft glow of several hundred cell phones illuminating a packed audience has become a given. Put that thing away. Your beloved Instagram following can wait. If you absolutely MUST, pull your phone out and snap a few pictures right as the show is starting. First show everyone that you made it tonight, then show the artist some respect by watching them through your two eyes and not a five-inch screen.

Keep Your Shirt On

Hey, I know you’re sweating. I also know that may or may not be chemically induced. Regardless, leave your shirt on. Yes, I realize the DJ just teased your favorite track from “Yeezus” before dropping “Animals” for the third time tonight. It’s OK, leave it on. I’m really doing you a favor. The temperature in Chicago hasn’t gone above 50 degrees in months. There are really better months for this. Sure, we can talk about Lollapalooza, but for now, leave it on.

Keep It Down

Someone dragged you along to this show. You’ve never even heard of this guy, but the ticket was free. That’s all fantastic. Maybe this will be an incredible and intimate performance that makes you a lifelong fan. Maybe not. Either way, keep your conversation on the down low. No one in the crowd around you cares about your plans for the rest of the night or what you were drinking before the concert.