How to Chicago

Aidan Hansen

Welcome back students! For many of you, this is your first time here in Chicago. If there’s anything I’ve learned, we take our city very seriously. Don’t try to compare us to New York or LA. 

I made this guide after years of hearing horrible advice, such as “don’t walk around after 7 p.m.,” from people who only ever heard about living here, without actually setting foot on our soil.

Learn your directions

People will unironically give you directions that say, “Go south on Fullerton!” I have trouble distinguishing my left from my right, so this was an extremely difficult adjustment. What helped me was learning which directions the L trains go. 95th/Loop is south, Howard/Kimball/Linden is north. Toward the lake is east, and toward O’Hare is west (well, actually northwest).

If you can’t go anywhere without good ol’e Google or Apple maps, I would try to learn street names. Many people refer to businesses like the “Starbucks on Fullertons,” so learning well-known streets around campus ASAP will save you some time. 

Bring water with you everywhere

Have you ever been dying of thirst while the Red Line is stuck in between Fullerton and Belmont for over 20 minutes? You shouldn’t need to when you have water. I recommend having a water bottle handy just in case those “quick” commutes become longer. 

Don’t be the fool who PAYS for water. 

Map out the bathrooms 

Whoever mapped out this city did not foresee the privatization of restrooms. Many small businesses have policies of guests using bathrooms only if they purchase something. Although totally fair, it ultimately restricts where you can go. When I find myself walking around, I know that a Target or library will have my back. 

In desperate times, most Starbucks have codes on their bathrooms. 

Lincoln Park is not a college town

Unlike other universities, Lincoln Park is a neighborhood with WAY more than just DePaul. In fact, I highly recommend reading up on the history of how the university contributed to the gentrification of Lincoln Park. There are several elementary schools and million dollar homes surrounding our campus. 

However, there are surrounding bars and restaurants that offer plenty of student discounts. The server at Jersey Mike’s on Fullerton recently asked how my first day of school went! I recommend adventuring outside our campus and finding more about Chicago and what it has to offer. 

Don’t be afraid

Chicago gets an awful reputation for being notoriously violent with crime happening on every block. I’ve seen how this notion literally scares away students from taking the CTA or walking around past 7 p.m. on campus. I encourage everyone to engage with the Chicago community, whether that’s Lincoln Park, Loop or your neighborhood. There’s no escaping that you live in Chicago now, and the need for street smarts. You’ll learn to embrace everything that makes us the best city in the world!