Senior Edition: How to do DePaul

Vanessa Lopez posing with DIBS.
Provided by Vanessa Lopez
Vanessa Lopez posing with DIBS.

Hey, Blue Demons! Even though I’m just an editor for The DePaulia, I’ve learned a thing or two about living a life worthy of being romanticized, and I’ve made every effort to make the most of my time here at DePaul. 

As an incoming student in 2020, my sole DePaul experience during the pandemic was on DeHub. To be honest, I’m a sucker for freebies, so I joined the Sticker of the Month Club on DeHub in the hopes that DIBS’ themed stickers would distract me from the pandemic.

Besides awaiting the arrival of my monthly sticker, I also spent some time on Facebook. At the time, DePaul had an “Official DePaul University Class of 2024” group that served as a means for students, such as myself, to form new friendships and/or gain more Instagram followers. 

The academic year of 2020-2021 was rough, so let’s never do it again. After my freshman year experience was practically robbed from me, I vowed to make the remainder of my DePaul experience worthwhile. 

Although I did not receive a traditional four-year experience at DePaul, I found my place and where I belong. I hope I have helped you “do DePaul better.”

Use your DePaul discount  

If there’s one thing about me, it’s that I will always ask if an eatery offers a college student discount. The Warehouse Bar and Pizzeria and Jeni’s Splendid Ice Creams are two businesses that provide a 15% student discount if you show your DePaul ID. Other establishments, such as Dom’s Kitchen & Market and Cafecito in Lincoln Park, provide a 10% discount. More information regarding demon discounts can be found here.

Go to festivals

Chicagoans rarely go a week without celebrating anything. There’s always a festival going on, whether it’s a music festival, an art festival or a food festival. Many street festivals offer free entry, making them a great place to experience something new. In the next several months, you can look forward to the Chicago Food Truck Fall Festival, Magnificent Lights Festival and the Christkindlmarket.

Take a class at The Ray

Classes at The Ray Fitness and Recreation Center are either humbling or truly enjoyable. The Ray provides workout classes daily, ranging from cycling to cardio kickboxing. You can find nearly any workout class you desire. Also, if you are a full-time DePaul student, you have a complimentary membership to The Ray, so why not take advantage? To find a list of all of the classes offered at The Ray, visit here.

Take a picture with DIBS

Taking a picture with DIBS is what must be done. Your parents will adore it, and you will secretly enjoy it. It’s a DePaul norm, and it’s always amusing because we’re the largest Catholic university with a demon as a mascot.

Go to FEST 

Going to FEST is something that everyone at DePaul should do; in my two fest experiences, DePaul has hosted 2 Chainz and Flo Milli. You should attend even if you are not a fan of the chosen artist performing at FEST. It is, without a doubt, one of the best ways to close the quarter, and it is a celebration solely for us! 

Explore farmers markets

Farmers markets are a perfect way to romanticize Chicago and your life, and there are plenty of them throughout the city. My personal favorites are the Logan Square Farmers Market and the Green City Market at Lincoln Park. Flowers, pastries, food, and good vibes can all be found at these markets; to find more farmers markets near you, click here.

Go to the Laugh Factory

If you’re feeling sad, a trip to the Laugh Factory is just what you need. At 3175 N. Broadway, just near the Belmont station, enjoy a night out laughing at some of Chicago’s funniest stand-up comedians with a group of friends or on a date. There’s a two-drink minimum, but you can always stick to water if you’d like.

Attend OSI and DAB events

You can’t go through the STU without seeing a flier for an Office of Student Involvement or DePaul Activities Board event. Go check them out; you’ll usually leave with some DePaul swag or a snack. They will only be cringe if you make them cringe. Many people on campus are looking to meet new people, so I would recommend to step beyond your comfort zone and attend these events. While there are events nearly every week, Midnight Breakfast, the annual Ugly Sweater Party and DePaul Night at the Chicago Cubs are three of my favorite DePaul events.