DePaul Theatre School alum Paul Holmquist on melding directing, acting in ‘The Dead Prince’

Fairytales invoke a special sense of nostalgia in the modern world. This winter, The Strange Tree Group, in association with the Chicago Department of Cultural Affairs and Special Events, is bringing this magic to life with their newest show, “The Dead Prince.” The DePaulia had the privilege to speak with director of the show and DePaul graduate, Paul Holmquist, to learn more about the production.

The DePaulia: Can you tell me a little bit about the show in general?

Paul Holmquist: It’s a bunch of fairytale tropes that we are very familiar with, pulled together into a very wacky story. It’s adventurous, it’s got some magic, and it’s got a lot of music and rich characterization. For the most part, it’s really rompy although there are some scary moments in there as well.

The DePaulia: I know that you have background in both directing and acting. Where do you see these two roles converging and diverging? Do you prefer one or the other?

Paul Holmquist: I’m a graduate from The Theatre School at DePaul and my BA is in acting so I started in acting. I really wanted, though, to start looking at life on the other side of the table and through a few gates here and there I started directing more frequently. Because directors tend to get booked farther in advance than actors, I found that my schedule got very filled with directing before I had the chance to audition for stuff. I miss acting, I do, but it’s really a joy to direct, especially working with people like the Strange Tree Group.

The DePaulia: As a director, you obviously work at length on the show and with the actors. What is it like to take a step back during performances and watch it come to life?

Paul Holmquist: Somebody once told me that there comes a point in the process where the director has nowhere to put his or her stuff. Literally, they don’t have a space backstage, onstage; you can’t put your backpack down anywhere. So there comes a point when you have to say, “You know what, I don’t really belong here anymore. It’s in the hands of the people who I have been working with for such a long time.” It’s a little bittersweet but there is also a real sense of pride to see your group take ownership of what they have been working on so hard.

The DePaulia: What has been your very favorite thing about directing this show?

Paul Holmquist: Well this is new to me. I haven’t worked with Strange Tree Group before and many of them have known each other for about 10 years so they have a very tight-knit group already and then I came into that. It’s been a really joyful experience to be invited into their circle and have them take my input and share with me what their aesthetic is and be able to collaborate with them. So I think that is probably the most joyful part.

The DePaulia: If you could tell your audience one thing about the show before they see it, what would it be?

Paul Holmquist: Believe in fairytales. They have something to tell us and there are still lessons to learn from them.

Ô_

“The Dead Prince” will be at the DCASE Storefront Theater located at 66 E. Randolph Street in Chicago until Sunday, Dec. 22.