Embracing autumn: The Pumpkin Spice Latte phenomenon

Linnea Cheng
A pumpkin spice latte sits on a table at Cafe Deko in Chicago on Oct. 18, 2023.

As the leaves begin to paint the town in shades of amber and burgundy, a familiar feeling fills the streets of Chicago. The feeling of cool crisp air, Halloween cult classics, chunky knitwear and the always-anticipated return of the pumpkin spice latte (PSL). Fortunately, Chicago is abundant with coffee establishments eager to entice. 

For those who enjoy an urban ambiance, Sawada Coffee may be the shop you are searching for. Sawada is located at 112 North Green St. in the Fulton Market District Area. The interior is characterized by its industrial aesthetic with graffitied walls and clusters of dangling lights that infuse the space with a sense of creativity. Aside from its spirited ambiance, its espresso is remarkable. Its mature combination of chocolatey and nutty undertones perfectly complement the pumpkin. The beverage as a whole contributes a sophisticated take on the PSL, exhibiting the richness of the espresso more than anything else. Sawada Coffee is effortlessly enticing due to its dynamic space and irresistible espresso. 

For students wanting to stay local to Lincoln Park, there are two standout choices in the neighborhood: Cafe Deko and Dom’s Kitchen and Market. They are both located on Diversey Parkway right across the street from one another. 

Cafe Deko has a vibrant and tropical Greek-inspired interior, exuding a warm and welcoming energy to its patrons. The combination of the exotic wallpaper, colorful furniture and rugged wooden accents meld together to create a sense of being on vacation. Cafe Deko’s PSL is exactly how you would anticipate it to be. The espresso base, the heart and soul of a PSL, is light and velvety, offering a smooth and accessible foundation. The pumpkin element of the drink is by no means extravagant but adds just the right amount of seasonal charm. Cafe Deko offers a classic and archetypal PSL that will never go out of style. 

Dom’s Kitchen and Market offers groceries, a variety of meals made in-store and a cafe. The seating area is characterized by a clean black and white aesthetic and an abundance of light, with two full frontal windows harnessing daylight into the space. At Dom’s Cafe, they offer their own twist on the PSL, naming it a “Pumpkin Spice Draft Latte” and putting it on tap. Dom’s PSL proves to be distinctive in taste with its intriguing interplay of flavors. The espresso plays a supporting role, allowing the standout characteristic to be the prominent presence of pumpkin. This pumpkin flavor is not overly sweet or artificial tasting but rather earthy and spicy. The spiciness delivers a gentle kick at the end, evoking a rustic sense of fall. 

For students who may find themselves on DePaul’s Loop campus, Hero Coffee Bar is right across the alley from the Richard M. and Maggie C. Daley building. They also have a location in the Lakeview area. Hero’s interior is covered in vivid murals and colorful lights dangling from the ceiling. The entire space is adorned with Halloween decor, which is enhanced by their carefully curated Halloween playlist, making the experience upbeat and energetic. Although the inside is modest, it is made up for by the festive atmosphere and stellar coffee. Hero’s PSL stands out by its strong notes of chocolate and cinnamon, creating the ideal warm and comforting beverage. The strong presence of cocoa and cinnamon make the beverage reminiscent of hot chocolate, invoking a distinct holiday feeling. 

Chicago is teeming with coffee establishments eager to serve their own rendition of the PSL, offering a unique experience with each cup and each sip. The culinary creativity within the city ensures that the pursuit of the perfect PSL is an invigorating and promising journey.