DePaul women’s soccer defeats rival Loyola for best start in school history

DePaul women’s soccer head coach Erin Chastain wasn’t kidding this summer when she said that her squad wanted to compete for a Big East title in 2013.

After winning just nine games in 2012, the team has already netted six wins following a 1-0 victory over Loyola Sunday. The Blue Demons’ record stands at 6-1-1 and they occupy fourth place in the loaded Big East.

Gina Yost scored a goal in the 85th minute to secure the victory for DePaul. It was her second goal of the season and propelled her team to a win over a scrappy Loyola team that outplayed the Demons for stretches.

Still, the day belonged to Chastain’s team. They outshot Loyola 19-11 and controlled the game’s flow for the majority of play.

DePaul is undefeated in its last seven games, including four total overtimes in games against Green Bay and Colgate.

That streak could have been longer if not for a canceled showdown with Southern Methodist University that took place Sept. 19. In that game, Elise Wyatt scored 12 minutes in to give the Demons a 1-0 advantage before heavy storms and lightning forced officials to call the game.

DePaul is in the hunt for the Big East title right now, but has yet to begin conference play. The Big East has several ranked teams occupying the top of the standings, including No. 10 Georgetown, who the Blue Demons will face Sept. 26. That game kicks off a string of nine consecutive conference games that lead up to the Big East Tournament on Nov. 5.