BRIEF: Blue Demons ink two more transfers, roster taking shape

Ryan Hinske
DePaul head coach Chris Holtmann addresses the media on Monday, March 18, 2024, at Wintrust Arena, shortly after accepting the job. Since his opening speech, Holtmann has added eight transfers to DePaul’s men’s basketball roster.

After a month of playing the transfer portal, DePaul men’s basketball secured eight total transfers, including two last week: Conor Enright, a guard from Drake University and JJ Traynor, a forward from the University of Louisville.

Originally from Mundelein, Ill., Enright began his collegiate career west of the Mississippi River at Drake and started in all 33 games for the Missouri Valley Conference champion Bulldogs last season.

“Conor is a terrific addition to our DePaul program,” head coach Chris Holtmann said in a statement. “He is tough, excellent defensively and a consummate point guard who can also play off the ball because of his shooting … Conor will immediately help us on the floor with his play and leadership these next two years.”

On December 9, 2023, at Wintrust Arena, Traynor contracted a shoulder injury during pregame warmups before Louisville’s matchup against DePaul that sidelined him for the rest of the season. During the previous season, Traynor was a vital part of Louisville’s team, earning a starting role after commencing the season off the bench and scoring 11.4 points per game in his final seven games.

“JJ is an excellent addition to our program,” Holtmann said. “He is long and versatile both offensively and defensively, and I really believe his best basketball is ahead of him … We are really excited about JJ.”

Holtmann and his staff have gone from two players to 10 in three weeks, with eight transfers and two high school commits slated to lace up as Blue Demons this fall. Three scholarship spots remain as DePaul looks for their final depth players in the coming weeks.