Blackhawks parade survival guide

The Stanley Cup has finally made it home to Chicago, and the whole city will be there to greet it this Friday. If you’re planning on making the trek downtown to congratulate the Blackhawks and see the cup in person, make sure you’re prepared for the parade and rally with more than just your Kane or Toews jersey.

1.  Figure out your travel plans – Public transportation to the parade and rally is going to be your safest bet; many streets will be closed and traffic is sure to be a nightmare. If you’re in the city, prepare yourself for crowded CTA trains and busses.  Plan with an extra 20 minutes of commuting time in mind, and leave early. Those in the suburbs can take Metra trains into the city. The railway is offering $5 unlimited ride tickets on Friday to accommodate all the celebrating Blackhawks fans.

2.  Know the route –The parade will begin at 10:30 a.m. at the United Center and head east down Washington Street until Wabash Avenue. From there it will head northward on Michigan Avenue until hitting Randolph Street, and then east towards Columbus Drive where it will arrive at Hutchinson Field in Grant Park. Make sure you know where you’re going, and don’t miss the celebration by getting lost a half mile in the wrong direction.

3.  Stay hydrated and covered in sunblock – It may not be a scorcher outside tomorrow, but huge crowds attract heat.  Keep a water bottle with you at the parade and scope out the water fountains at Grant Park to stay cool and hydrated all morning. Also take note that only closed water bottled will be allowed into the rally, but there will be water available to purchase from vendors as well as free water fountains.  As a frequent sunburn sufferer, I encourage everyone to slather on some SPF 30 before heading out tomorrow, since backpacks aren’t allowed at the rally.  A sunburn will make it really difficult to dance to “Chelsea Dagger” all afternoon. 

4.  Enjoy the experience – Be honest with yourself before you head downtown on Friday.  It’s going to be hot, people will probably be inebriated and will likely annoy you and you’re going to a get a very short glimpse at the Stanley Cup and the team as they parade drives by.  Once you accept those facts, know that it’s also going to be a ton of fun.  The parade and rally is all about the experience of celebrating with thousands of other Blackhawks fans from all across the Chicagoland area. Make friends in the crowd, share your “where were you when the Blackhawks won the cup” story and scream your lungs out when you see the 2013 Stanley Cup Champions make their way down the street.