1920s Gatsby fashion in 2013: your how-to guide

In just a few days, this summer’s most buzzed-about film, Baz Luhrmann’s “The Great Gatsby,” will be hitting theaters and giving audiences a glimpse into the vibrant time that was the Jazz Age. The excitement over the new take on F. Scott Fitzgerald’s classic novel not only has to do with a cast full of Hollywood heavyweights, but also the spectacular visuals surely to be created thanks to the combination of Luhrmann’s directorial style and the glamour of the 1920s. However, the decade’s opulence isn’t only showing up on the big screen, its influence is spreading further into retailers worldwide.

The iconic look of flappers and debonair men is synonymous with 1920s fashion, and with the release of “The Great Gatsby” these styles are back with a 21st-century twist.

Details are key when channeling your inner Daisy Buchanan. For daytime, delicate and feminine pieces are best, and no silhouette is more appropriate than a drop-waist dress. Stick to lightweight fabrics in either white or colors in a soft palette. A dainty flutter sleeve or subtle ruffled collar is also a way to add a 1920s flair to your look.

The simplicity of the daytime is balanced out by all of the fun to be had with fashion come the nighttime. Eye-catching embellishments like fringe, beading and feathers are all nods to the era, with the added bonus of all being completely on-trend and a great source of texture for any ensemble.

The easiest way to achieve the look is through accessories and, in this case, anything art deco goes. Choose statement pieces like a flashy cocktail ring or oversized earrings with a prominent geometrical cut or symmetrical pattern. An art deco clutch helps to complete the vintage style, and in terms of footwear, a modest heel is best.

For the guys, embodying the role of a modern-day Jay Gatsby isn’t always the most practical if it means donning a suit and tie every day, but you can still take a cue from the film of the moment by refining your look. Slicking back your hair is an easy way to instantly look more put together. Also, crisp linen blazers and vests, along with rounded collar cardigans layered over button-down shirts, will evoke the 1920s feel. A slim-fitting pant works best for creating the right silhouette.

The final must-have piece of menswear is a leather oxford shoe. Nothing will destroy an outfit quicker than the wrong pair of shoes, so invest in a pair in the classic brown or black to pull off a more polished look.

Whether you are a Daisy or a Gatsby, it is easy to cross the line into costume territory, so be careful not to look like an extra straight off the movie’s set, and choose a few characteristics of 1920s fashion to incorporate into your wardrobe.