Isabella Ali speaks with a student on Tuesday, Sept. 17, 2024, on campus. Ali is the SGA student body president this year and has previously served as a Chicago Quarter Mentor.
Kiersten Riedford
Categories:

‘There’s a sense of pride that I feel’: Isabella Ali begins year as student body president

Isabella Ali is not a student body president that separates herself from the students she represents. She is one that fully embraces them, and even invites them for a seat at the table. 

Ali’s election as student body president came at a pivotal time at DePaul, marked by the end of the encampment. This new era unfolded with the start of a new constitution and structure for the Student Government Association (SGA). 

In the significance of the timing, there came a need for SGA to adapt and for Ali to ensure forward momentum for the DePaul community. As the year starts to pick up, SGA follows Ali’s lead to move the student body forward. 

“I am very excited, and I am very proud of what everyone has done so far in student government, as they’ve been working all summer,” Ali said. “There’s a sense of pride that I feel, as we’re running an organization that represents our students, and I feel very happy with our team.”

Ali served as a Chicago Quarter Mentor in the Discover Chicago: Non-Violent Chicago class at DePaul and had a great impact on Aidan Valdez, who took Ali’s Discover Chicago class and who voted for Ali. 

“She’s really great, she was very good at leading us, especially when things would get rowdy, or if we really didn’t have a good sense of direction, and I mean that quite literally, because she led us to each location that we went to,” Valdez said. “She was always really good at keeping a good face and being able to capture everybody’s attention. 

“She isn’t afraid to go after what she wants, and she isn’t afraid to work hard for it,” Valdez said. “I thought and still think that’s what’s going to make her a good president.”

Ali is actively working to involve the student body and their opinions in the decisions made by SGA, alongside her vice president, Samara Smith. 

“This is something Samara and I have been doing since the summer,” Ali said. “There were different university administrative committees, who were looking for a new vice president of institutional diversity and equity. We searched for ten students to put on that committee. 

Only one of the students chosen was a member of SGA. However, the rest were from different organizations around DePaul, namely Kalahi, a Filipino student organization, United Muslims Moving Ahead, and many more.

The search for a vice president of institutional diversity and equity enlists students and their perspectives to ensure that the candidate selected is one that aligns with the needs and values of the DePaul community.

Collaboration is the centerfold of Ali’s vision for both the student body and SGA. It seems to be the natural course that Ali follows when looking for solutions and offering support. She is not just an individual, she is a collaborator; having a vice president is a gift not taken for granted. 

Smith has a big impact on the initiatives themselves and works closely with Ali to ensure stability and headways within their work.

“I am very comfortable and confident in our current cabinet, who I believe is just as passionate and committed to SGA as Isabella and I are,” Smith said. “I think that gives us a good starting point to move on some of our ideas.” 

One of Ali’s initiatives this year is to strengthen SGA’s connections throughout DePaul and to improve the ways in which organizations can be seen and heard.

“Within every organization, we want to have a liaison,” Ali said. “That SGA liaison will be our point of contact for that organization and be given the opportunity to join any of our committees and our work for initiatives.”  

Isabella Ali writes in her planner on Tuesday, Sept. 17, 2024, in the Quad. Ali is emphasizing collaboration in her term as SGA student body president, as she works towards finding solutions and offering support to students. (Kiersten Riedford)

Alongside SGA’s members, Ali is working to build upon relationships with DePaul administrators. 

“I am meeting with the director of the Center for Students with Disabilities,” Ali said. “That is a key focus on my personal end that I would like to see happen. Just more career support, professional development and advising for students with disabilities.”

As for the changes and initiatives that Ali and SGA will take on this year, Valdez has trust and confidence in them.

“I know that (Ali) is very passionate about helping marginalized communities and helping to better DePaul for all communities,” Valdez said.

For now, Ali and Smith plan to level the playing field with a friendly competition between the students and faculty to further close the divide and build a common ground. 

SGA is hosting a kickball event on Oct. 10 from 3 to 6 p.m., with the students versus the faculty and staff. This gives students the opportunity to get to know the people making decisions for DePaul. 

“I want the end of this year to be happier, I want our students to feel more supported, and I want that to be a continued legacy for the future generations of SGA. I want students to know they can come to us for any situation,” Ali said.