Four players seek transfer from DePaul men’s basketball

DePaul’s men’s basketball program granted the permission of four players – Moses Morgan, Derrell Robertson, Jr., Montray Clemons and Jodan Price – to seek transfer opportunities to other institutions. All four players will remain at DePaul through the end of the spring quarter.

“We appreciate the efforts of these four players,” said head coach Oliver Purnell, in a statement. “We support their decisions to look for other opportunities.”

Morgan, a junior, averaged 5.9 points and 2.3 rebounds per contest in the 2012-2013 season. Starting three games in 29 appearances, Morgan had a lackluster third season for DePaul. A three-point specialist, Morgan, after averaging 9.0 points per game on 37 percent shooting (39 percent from beyond the arc) last season, shot just over 32 percent from the floor (30.5 percent from deep). Recruited with Baltimore standouts Cleveland Melvin and Brandon Young, Morgan was expected to contribute heavily to the team’s play, but never completely found his rhythm in Purnell’s system.

Robertson, a sophomore center, appeared in all 32 games this season, averaging 1.9 points and 0.9 rebounds per game. Backing up junior forward Donnavan Kirk, Robertson consistently found himself in foul trouble all season as a secondary interior defensive presence, unable to contain the tough, physical forwards so inherent in Big East play. Robertson was, however, second on the team in field goal percentage, shooting 51.1 percent.

Clemons, who sat out all of last year due to an injury suffered in the team’s preseason Blue Madness rally, averaged 1.3 points and 1.1 rebounds per game. The 6-foot-7-inch, 235-pound Baltimore native had size capable of making an impact against Big East teams, but never looked comfortable on the floor. Clemons averaged just 5.0 minutes per game this season.

Price was ranked among the class of 2012’s top 25 three-point shooters and among the top 50 small forwards in the country by ESPN while at Detroit Country Day. Price, whose long body on defense and shooting ability was lauded by Purnell before the season, did not find himself on the court much outside of garbage time minutes. Price averaged 0.4 points in eight appearances.