All good things must come to an end, even your favorite TV shows

If saying goodbye to Jerry from “Seinfeld” or Cory and Topanga from “Boy Meets World” or the star of your favorite TV show you loved and grew up with wasn’t enough, the never-ending cycle of goodbyes is continuing on this year. The TV shows that have been around for a good five, 10 or maybe even more years are now coming to a close with final seasons.

NBC’s “The Office,” The CW’s “90210” and AMC’s “Breaking Bad” are just a few of the TV series that have or will be wrapping up their seasons for good in 2013. For some of the cable TV series viewers, the recent announcement of these endings is a good thing. For others, it is a rather sad time.

A total of 64 shows are ending or being cancelled for the 2012-2013 season. The list of television series includes the “Secret Life of the American Teenager,” “Gossip Girl,” “The Office,” “Breaking Bad,” “90210,” NBC’s “30 Rock,” Fox’s “Fringe,” Showtime’s “Weeds” and MTV’s “Jersey Shore.”

The reasons behind these shows wrapping up their seasons ranged from low ratings/viewings to actors and actresses going down another path in their careers. The ending of the longtime TV series is paving the way for new shows to make their mark in the entertainment world.

“The networks will keep cancelling TV shows just as surely as they’ll keep introducing new ones,” said the TV Series Finale News website in a recent article.

The endings of very popular TV shows like “The Office” and “Jersey Shore” are upsetting to their top viewers most of all. After nine seasons, “The Office” is officially ending in May 2013. This sitcom starring Steve Carell, about a group of employees in an office setting, was NBC’s highest rated scripted series.

“I’ve only watched one or two episodes of the show but I know a few people who are really upset about it ending,” said Reonna Taylor, a student at Illinois State University.

Another highly ranked TV show that recently ended after six seasons was “Gossip Girl.” The drama-filled show about a group of teenagers living in Manhattan ended its season with an unexpected twist leaving some fans wanting more but some quite satisfied.

“I think it was time for the show to end,” said Jace Ross, a student from the Chicago area.

With these once very popular shows being cancelled, it seemed like an odd thing for some people but, realistically, no show can go on forever.

“It’s great to move on and do something different,” said Leighton Meester, one of the “Gossip Girl” cast members in an Us Weekly article.

However, for some shows, many viewers thought these endings weren’t such a bad thing.

The most recent announcement of the show “90210” ending was not a surprise to many people nor was it a big deal.

“I didn’t even know new episodes of the show were currently still airing,” said Ryan Ashley, a Chicago resident.

For the highly rated reality show “Jersey Shore” based on six Italian-American adults living in New Jersey, it wasn’t a personal television series favorite and after its final season in 2012, some people thought it never even should have went on for as long as it did.

“I used to watch it but after the first three seasons, I was just over it,” said Ashley.

Although the show seemed to be a hit, which is the reason why it went on for six seasons, the entertainment gradually started to get old. The same went for a number of television shows like “Secret Life of the American Teenager,” which is ending this year.

According to WetPaint Entertainment’s website, the shows that will be missed most were Gossip Girl, followed by the Secret Life of the American Teenager and Jersey Shore. The least missed shows were “30 Rock” and Showtime’s “Weeds.”

As for the rumors about “Grey’s Anatomy” going off the air after this season, speculation is still in the air. In the midst of its ninth season, the show about a group of doctors and interns balancing personal and professional life doesn’t seem to get old. Whether or not this will be the last season has not been announced, all we can do is wait to see.

There is always talk about shows that should or shouldn’t have been taken off the air, but this doesn’t seem to be one of them.

On the other hand with ratings down a considerable amount from its first season, American Idol is one of the shows that people believe should have ended a long time ago. Currently airing is the show’s 12th season, but some viewers still aren’t pleased with the transformation of the show over the years. This week the show had fewer viewers in the 18-49 age demographic than Modern Family on ABC, according to Forbes Magazine.

“I only watch it for the auditions”, said Ashley.

According to Complex Magazine’s website, a number of shows along with American Idol should have went off the air a while ago. The Simpsons at number one, followed by Jersey Shore, Toddlers and Tiaras, Tyler Perry’s House of Payne, Teen Mom and the list goes on.

Yes, the days of watching wholesome TV shows has changed with the interests in modern day pop culture. Whether the goodbyes come too early, right on time or are past due, the ongoing cycle will continue in trying to please viewers.