Golden Globes kicks off the most fashionable time of year

Award season is in full swing and to warm us up for the big show on February 24th was this year’s Golden Globes. What the Academy Awards does not offer that the Globes do is the chance to see our favorites being nominated from both the worlds of film and television looking their best on the red carpet. This year, the stars came out and set the glamour bar extra high with these major red carpet moments.

The first standout trend of the night was the amount of skin shown whether it be through high slits, sheer details or cutouts. Some celebs who chose to show a little extra leg were Eva Longoria in a black Emilio Pucci gown featuring lace sleeves and an open back. Lea Michele and Heidi Klum had another style similarity when they both chose white dresses with high slits – Michele wore a beaded Elie Saab, while Klum chose an asymmetrical Alexandre Vauthier complete with gold embellishments. An example of a high slit gone wrong is Halle Berry’s printed Versace number, which found her on many “worst dressed” lists.

Two stars who opted to create the illusion of showing more skin with sheer and lace details were former “American Idol” judge Jennifer Lopez in a figure-hugging lace Zuhair Murad and “Django Unchained” actress Kerry Washington in Swarovski crystal-embroidered Miu Miu. Cutouts also appeared on the red carpet courtesy of Kate Hudson’s Alexander McQueen gown, and from both Kristin Wiig and Emily Blunt who each donned Michael Kors.

In terms of color trends, the biggest story of the night came from the lack of color as many celebrities chose to wear black or nude. Katharine McPhee was a favorite for many in Theysken’s Theory, and others like Sofia Vergara, Stacy Kiebler and Rachel Weisz all chose black ensembles. One notable look that belongs in this category is host Amy Poehler who chose to wear a Stella McCartney pants suit. As for the stars who showed up in nude tones, Isla Fisher, Amy Adams and Megan Fox wore flesh-toned frocks.

However, one color was behind many standout fashion moments of the evening: red. Dior dressed two A-listers in red, Jennifer Lawrence and Marion Cotillard. Naomi Watts sported a long sleeved, maroon Zac Posen dress and Jennifer Garner also chose red when she went with a sequined, strapless Vivienne Westwood gown. Other ladies in red that night were Zooey Deschanel and Claire Danes.

The night was not complete without some definite fashion blunders. Fashion risk-taker Sienna Miller wore a two-piece flower appliqu’ÛΩ-embellished Erdem outfit that while appropriate for her nominated film “The Girl,” it was generally given a negative critique. Another polarizing look is Lucy Liu’s gown designed by Carolina Herrera. The full skirt already makes the dress memorable, and the rose print that features on the powder blue gown puts it even more over-the-top. It may work for the Met Gala, but not the Golden Globes. “Girls” star Lena Dunham chose a deep purple Zac Posen dress for the night, but the off-the-shoulder number did not do her any favors. Dunham looked uncomfortable in what she was wearing, which is enough reason to make it a fashion miss no matter the design. Finally, showing everyone that it is always important to remember proper tailoring, Jessica Chastain wore what should have been a safe choice to the award ceremony, but her ill-fitting Calvin Klein needed to be taken in before getting in front of the cameras.