See the Oscar winning films at the Music Box

ξ

The Music Box is a great place to see foreign and independent films. When it opened in August 1929, it was seen as a brother theater next to the ones in Chicago that seated 3,000 people. Nowadays, it holds many interesting marathons and special events such as the Oscar Winning Films event.

As the Oscars are draw closer, the Music Box has decided to showcase other films from the past.

“The films selected were all winners of the top prizes for the Academy Awards – with some films like ‘Gigi’ and ‘On the Waterfront’ winners of nearly everything they were nominated for – but were otherwise films that don’t usually pop into your head when you think ‘Oscar winner,'” said Rob Walton, senior account executive of the Silverman Group. “The exception of course is ‘Casablanca,’ but how could you have an Oscar winner matinee series and not show ‘Casablanca?'”

Here are a few on the films being shown throughout January and February for a limited time. More specific descriptions can be seen at www.musicboxtheatre.com.

It Happened One Night (Frank Capra, 1934, 105 minutes)

Jan. 26-27, 11:30 a.m.

Ellie is a spoiled heiress who decides to run away from her family. Helping her is Peter Warne, a reporter with a good eye for a juicy story. A lot can happen on a cross-country bus trip in this romantic comedy. (Interesting side-note: mannerisms in this film inspired the genesis of Bugs Bunny and other Looney Tunes characters.)

Network

(Sidney Lumet, 1976, 121 minutes)

Feb. 2-3, 11:30 a.m.

A struggling television network gives notice to longtime news anchor Howard Beale – then he decides to announce he will commit suicide on air. Once on, he goes on a rant about how life is a load of manure and regains television ratings. In doing so, Beale becomes effectively rebranded as “the mad prophet of the airwaves.”

Casablanca(Michael Curtiz, 1942, 102 minutes) Feb. 10, 11:30 a.m.

Set in French-controlled Morocco during the early days of World War II, an American expatriate meets a former lover in this romantic drama. Rick Blaine must chose to help the woman he loves save her husband so he can continue to fight the Nazis. In this riveting drama, his lover points a gun at Rick, but confesses that she still loves him.

Gigi (Vincente Minnelli, 1958, 115 minutes)

Feb. 16-17, 11:30 a.m.

In this romantic musical comedy, set in fin-de-si’ÛÎåcle Paris, Maurice Chevalier, a rich playboy weary of the conventions of Parisian society, strikes up a platonic friendship with courtesan-in-training Gigi. This film takes a twist when Gigi proposes to Maurice to play a game of cards. If she wins, then he must agree to take her along.

Midnight Cowboy

(John Schlesinger, 1969, 113 minutes)

Feb. 23-24, 11:30 a.m.

Jon Voight moves to New York City with the na’ÛÎÀve intention of becoming a gigolo and getting rich. When he tries to get hired by a wealthy woman, all fails and he tries again with another woman. In turn, he gives her $20 and loses another $20 when he meets Ratso Rizzo. Later, the two become business partners in this only X-rated film to win an Oscar.