Cool looks for the cold

The dark and cold days of the winter season make many of us want to curl up in sweats and hoodies under the covers all day, but luckily, the fashion industry, which influences both those on the runway and those on the street, provides stylish men and women everywhere with an opportunity to indulge in fashionable pieces – even in the cold winter months.

On the streets, both men and women alike utilize scarves. For women, infinity scarves in patterns and solid colors are available almost anywhere, and are particularly popular. Sweaters, cardigans, knit hats, leather jackets, military and pea coats all give men and women an edge to smart street style. Although these styles are certainly seen on models such as Karlie Kloss, Elle Fanning and Miranda Kerr, as well as fashion moguls like Betsey Johnson, the runways and high-end designers give practical streetwear a much more individualistic and high-fashion style.

For men looking to express their dapper taste, designers such as Marc Jacobs provide cozy sweaters and cardigans, in neutral shades that match the winter atmosphere, as well as some colorful knitwear, sometimes played up with patterns or fun buttons, to make those dull days a touch brighter. Marc Jacobs also exhibits collared Oxford button-up shirts, giving men a simple yet classic and fresh look to pair with rolled-up denim and a pair of suede or leather ankle boots – both of which are trends seen on the runways and the streets.

Burberry creates shiny metallic blazers, bomber jackets and trench coats in blue, pink and a citrus mix of orange and yellow, made especially for bold men.

Leather jackets, always in style for both men and women, are also seen in lookbooks for designers’ new collections and on the runways and streets. Michael Kors offers fur lined pullovers, gingham blazers, and plaid pea coats. Topshop, a Michigan Avenue favorite, also brings classic looks with a unique spin for men’s winter fashion: tweed blazers, denim collared shirts, flannel and plaid tops.

In women’s winter fashion, chiffon blouses loaded with studs or enhanced by Peter Pan collars (seen everywhere from Forever 21 to H&M and Topshop) are layered with blazers and leggings or denim. A standard outfit for fashionistas, many pair these button-up blouses and leggings or denim with military-style boots or simple, knee-high leather boots.

Many boots, especially military or low-ankle ones, are often embellished with studs or buckles, adding a distinctive touch to the classic black, gray or brown leather boots. Studs are also seen on suede flats or ankle boots by Vince Camuto and Steve Madden.

Fur vests, collars and hats are also popular; Chanel presents fur as well as lace and plaid for women’s winter fashion. Leather skirts by Marc Jacobs and Juicy Couture, paired with patterned, flow-y tank tops and tights often make the scene in winter fashion.

Puffer coats by Burberry, as well as leather jackets and pea coats, all remain a classic go-to for women’s outerwear. Also by Burberry, peplum sweaters, cableknit sweaters and sweaters detailed with pockets and gold buttons are worn by women.

Winter collections by Topshop give women a range of options, from simplistic black and white pieces of the Arthaus collection, to ombre sweaters combined with Aztec patterns and neons from the Rave New World collection, to the always popular embellished and metallic articles of Galactica.

Regardless of the season, stores and high-end designers create pieces and matching winter accessories to bring out the fashionista in everyone – despite the wind chill, ice and frigid temperatures.