Winter weather must-haves

With dropping temperatures, harsh winds and days that feel incredibly short, it is easy to fall into the habit of throwing on the easiest outfits that will keep us the warmest. However, often times those go-to pieces aren’t always the most stylish, but luckily, these five simple items can save your winter style:

Statement jewelry

This seems like a no-brainer, yet sometimes when the temperatures continue to drop day after day and we don’t feel like bothering to get out from underneath our warm blankets and go to class, we may get lazy in the fashion department – relying on our ready-made outfits for quick dressing without much thought. The easiest fix for those dull fashion days will always be a great piece of statement jewelry. Throw on a few pieces of arm candy or a big, flashy neck piece and you’ve immediately gone up a few notches on the style meter (not to mention it creates the illusion that you didn’t just get up.

Classic pea coat

A warm winter coat is key, but if you’re not careful, a puffy bubble jacket will hide the chic outfit underneath. A good option to keep warm and stylish through these winter months is a heavy pea coat. A pea coat is a timeless classic, and can easily be added to any wardrobe. When fit properly, its sleek lines create a flattering shape that will enable you to stay chic without lots of added bulk.

Patterned/colored gloves

Have some fun and spice up your winter-wear with some patterned or colored gloves. Often times gloves become an afterthought, making us opt for basic black, so what better place for a little style surprise than a bold pop of color at your fingertips! However, it is still important to coordinate so it is best to pick up a few pairs and style according to your winter coats. Pairing an all-black outfit with maroon gloves or adding a little animal print is an easy way to stay stylish while out in the cold.

(Faux) fur anything

Regardless of your political stance, (faux) fur is a must for the winter season. Not only is it warm and comfortable, it also adds an immediate touch of luxury and glamour to your look. The great thing about the use of (faux) fur in fashion is the number of ways to wear it. Colors vary from naturals to neons and range from short and smooth to shaggy a l’Û΍ Mongolian lamb. If you lean more towards the understated side go for a simple fur scarf, earmuff or hat to add a bit of texture to your ensemble.

A stable wedge

It is hard to resist the urge to put on those stilettos for a night out, but in this weather, even the most talented wearers can take a tumble with an added five inches under their feet. For safety’s sake, give your sky-high heels some time off and go for a wedge instead. Besides the obvious comfort factor, a good wedge can not only give you the extra height you’re looking for, but also can be just casual enough to go from day to night without you having to think twice about footwear.