Put away your tank tops and step away from the UGG boots: Dressing for winter 101

ξ

Winter is upon us. While Chicago may throw us a few warmer days here and there, it’s safe to put away your crop-tops and bring out your sweaters. Going shopping this weekend? Think about warmth. 

We live in the northern part of the U.S., there is no denying that. You’re allowed to sacrifice style for warmth — even though many people (mostly women) ignore this idea. Avoid frostbite and general discomfort by checking the weather forecast and actually dressing accordingly.

Here are some tips from an only moderately fashionable person on how to remain comfortable and weather-appropriate while not looking completely insane:

1. Buy a real winter coat. This is Chicago; it snows here and it’s windy. “But winter coats are so bulky, no one can see my shape!” It won’t matter that everyone can see your shape after they pull your frozen body out of a snow cliff for wearing your spring leather jacket when it’s below 30 out. And your North Face zip-up does not count as a winter coat — wear that under your real coat or at least under a heavy jacket. Yes, winter coats are bulky, but they are usually removed as soon as you step inside — so get a warm, puffy, wind-resistant, waterproof winter coat.

There are many styles to choose from. Vinyl, wool, and nylon are among the most common coat fabrics. For optimum warmth the down-insulated, puffy, near-floor-length coats are the way to go. The further up the hem, the more stylish, but also the colder you get. For compromise: a mid-thigh-length coat with high boots will keep the majority of your body warm. Plaid patterns are popular again, as is the color red. Faux-fur outlined hoods and flannel-lined hoods are warmer hood options. If the coat is being marketed as sustaining specific temperatures take that information into consideration when making your purchase.

2. Stock up on thick tights, leggings, and/or stockings. Before you wiggle into your skinny jeans (everyone does it, even me, and I’m a size 1) throw on a pair of thick tights or stockings (a.k.a. thigh-high socks). Yes, there will be even more wiggling, but once the icy cold air hits you when you walk out the door it’ll all be worth it. Your legs will be toasty warm and you’ll still look just as cute as you would’ve without them.

Leggings, tights, and stockings can be worn under business-casual pants as well as under skirts and dresses. Adding these leg-warming items can carry some of your outfits over to the winter months. The thicker the material, the warmer you’ll be.

3. Fleece-lined everything. Especially if you have a bit of a walk to class or work, or if you know you’ll be outside for a while on a given day, having everything you’re wearing lined with fleece will keep you super warm and comfy. Okay, maybe an entirely fleece-lined outfit would make you sweat too much, but at least one item of that kind will keep you exponentially more comfortable.

Stores are rolling out fleece-lined leggings (some even boast they are warm enough to be worn with shorts), fleece-lined socks, fleece-lined boots, fleece-lined gloves and hats, etc. Just be careful around fire as most fleeces are highly flammable.

4. Wear scarves, gloves, and hats or earmuffs — don’t let your head/face/hands/neck freeze. Get a matching set or mix-and-match, but always buy with quality in mind. “Thinsulate” is a material much like fleece that is surprisingly thin for how warm it is, as the name suggests, and is used to make mittens, gloves, hats, etc. Thick knits seem to be the trend again this year. I go for thick cable-knits in neutral colors. Circle scarves, also known as “infinity scarves” are back again. Hats with ear flaps, while not always flattering, are the warmest. Go all out with the “adorkable” thing by getting a Russian-inspired fully faux-fur one or a knit one with a ball on the top.

Wool is always a great go-to for winter accessories, but it, like many other fabrics, creates static. Your hair may take a beating, so keep a little bottle of Frizz-Ease in your backpack/purse, or get friendly with the bathroom faucet — either way, the gain outweighs the minor problem.

5. Find actual winter boots. Your UGGs were not made for this climate, so you should really stop wearing them in winter. Anything suede will not last on the city’s salted streets and higher than 2-inch heels are just an accident waiting to happen. Most “winter boots” out there are not actually functional outdoors and the snow-booties we wore as children will not do as adults. So what should one look for when selecting winter boots?

A. Waterproof material: They don’t need to be rubber or plastic, but it’s important to have boots that will not let melting snow leak in and freeze your toes. Some faux-leather boots have a waterproof coating; check the tag, box, or manufacturer’s website. If you cannot find waterproof boots that fit your aesthetic, you can result to using a waterproofing spray — but remember to reapply it constantly and to clean off salt immediately after being outdoors.

B. If they zip or lace, that it starts up higher above the sole: This goes along with being waterproof. If the zipper or lacing starts too low, slushy snow and melted ice will seep right through. The best boots have zippers/lacing that start at least an inch and a half from the sole.

C. Traction: I see women slip and slide on icy sidewalks all the time because their boots have a smooth bottom surface — this is not good. Traction is important when selecting winter boots especially when walking in areas with sidewalks that aren’t shoveled as often (ahem, Webster Avenue). They don’t have to be serious workman’s boots to have traction; there are stylish ones out there with at least decent enough traction for regular snow.

D. Lining: Your knit and even your wool socks might not always cut it, so it’s good to look for boots that are lined with insulated fabric, faux-fur, or our good friend fleece. An extra layer of warm, dry protection for your feet is invaluable — especially when the windchill is below freezing.

If you can find any combination of these features in a pair of winter boots, buy them. I found a pair of faux-leather winter boots that zip and lace high up, are lined with fleece, and even have sole traction. The perfect combination of style and utility — this is what we should all strive for.

6. Always think quality. In case I didn’t get the point across earlier, quality is most important in winter. Good quality fabrics and stitching, waterproofing, and thick materials will keep you warm and dry. But too many heavy fabrics will weigh you down and make you sweat, so choose your layers wisely. When buying important winter items try to steer clear of stores like Forever21, Old Navy, Target (sorry, my beloved Target), and Kohl’s that use cheaper fabrics (hence the low prices). These stores are fine for t-shirts, jeans, accessories, and even some sweaters — but not for solid winter boots and coats. The scarf you got there for $10 might keep you warm enough, but nearly every girl ages 14-25 will have it -or one like it- too.

I find that handmade knit items like ones found on Etsy or in local yarn shops are much better than anything you buy in a store. They’re usually of superior quality and can often be customized. It’s cool to support independent artists and it’s the best feeling when someone says they like your scarf and you can explain that it’s one-of-a-kind. No one will be able to steal your look.

Dressing weather-appropriate and fashionable is possible — and it’s worth the time and money. Follow the above guidelines and you’ll be ready for winter before it even hits.