DePaul Rocks: Q and A with Elliot Gitter of Teleporter

While walking around DePaul’s campus on a beautiful, sunny day, one is bound to hear the sounds of an instrument. Whether it is an acoustic guitar being strummed in the quad or a harmonica being played outside the student center, DePaul University fosters an education to many students that value music as much as their academic studies.

Formerly known as Distribute, Teleporter is the brainchild of DePaul senior Elliot Gitter. With a heavy use of effects, such as reverb and lots of echo, over fuzzed out samples mixed with bombastic drums, Teleporter is an act that is setting out to accomplish the impossible: mixing electronic elements with psychedelic lo-fi rock. If that is too hard to picture, think of the Australian psychedelic band, Tame Impala, being fuzed with British electronic musician SBTRKT. Kind of hard to imagine? Not to worry because I sat down with Elliot in order to receive a proper description of the Teleporter sound.

DePaulia: I described your sound as psychedelic-electronica but could you give the readers a proper description?

Elliot Gitter: It reminds me of ambient music over pop songs with a very dark overtone. The project started from sampling “The Martian Chronicles” by Ray Bradbury. I was watching a lot of Twin Peaks and David Lynch films and I really liked the sound. The soundtrack to Edward Scissorhands was also a big influence.

DP: So why the change from Distribute?

EG: I wanted it to sound electronic with faster songs. Also, more danceable with stronger vocals. I kind of want it to sound like Frank Sinatra’s “In The Wee Small Hours” mixed with Madlib.

DP: Speaking of Madlib, who’s your favorite producer that samples?

EG: Definitely, Kid Koala or Black Dice

DP: In terms of getting your music out there, has DePaul played any role in the networking process?

EG: Mainly through friends. I’ve gone to see local DePaul bands like the Gnarwaals and Peoples Temple of America.

DP: So when are we going to hear new tunes from Teleporter?

EG: Hopefully in two months. We might release the record a couple singles at a time and then release a whole record. We have a Martian Chronicles trilogy that we might release as an EP before.

DP: Can’t wait to hear both of them! Is it hard to get gigs right now?

EG: No, we started the project and a couple weeks ago.