“Seven Psychopaths” crazy good

It’s been nearly four years since Martin McDonagh gave us the brilliant “In Bruges,” and now he has returned in top form. “Seven Psychopaths” is the second film from the 42-year-old writer/director and will probably be his most crowd-pleasing to date. From an all-star cast to a script brimming with foul language, McDonagh keeps the laughs coming and the violence ridiculous.

The film follows Marty (Colin Farrell), a writer hoping to finish his screenplay entitled Seven Psychopaths. His friend Billy (Sam Rockwell), an unemployed actor, kidnaps dogs with Hans (Christopher Walken), a quiet, religious man with a dark past. Things go haywire when Billy and Hans steal the Shih Tzu of Charlie Costello (Woody Harrelson), an unpredictable gangster who will kill anyone associated with his dog’s kidnapping. The wild ride that ensues introduces Marty to a range of psychopaths including a bunny-toting killer named Zachariah (Tom Waits) and a killer whose calling card is the jack of diamonds. These psychopaths may be Marty’s ticket to finishing his screenplay, or they may be his demise.

“Seven Psychopaths” is comedic gold, and it hits all the right notes to please an audience. McDonagh has a knack for balancing profanity and gore alongside sentiment and morality, and his script exhibits this talent brilliantly. He brings so many elements to this narrative that it becomes more and more over the top as the film progresses, but it works, and the over-the-top nature of his writing provides entertainment unlike anything in recent memory.

The cast of this film is also top notch. Farrell is great as the alcoholic writer trying his best to finish his screenplay. Rockwell is utterly brilliant as Billy, and Walken has never been better than he is as Hans. His delivery of lines is terrific as always, especially when he says the word “hallucinogens” (hilarious). Harrelson kills it as the psychopathic mob boss who wants nothing more than his lovable pooch back.

“Seven Psychopaths” might be the best comedy this year. Brimming with killer dialogue, bloody gore and amazing characters, it grabs a hold of you and doesn’t let go. McDonagh has given us another work of genius.