Privacy invasion of royal couple no issue for paparazzi

Kate Middleton recently made headlines for something other than being classy. Closer Magazine, a French tabloid publication, published photos showing Middleton sunbathing topless while on a private resort in Chateau d’Autet, France, Sept. 14. Chi, a publication owned by the same publisher of the Closer, released a 26-page photo of the married couple vacationing.

The royal family was shocked by the publications of the photos and considered them as an intrusion of privacy. They quickly filed a lawsuit against the publisher. A French judge ruled Sept. 18 that the publisher must hand over the photos as well as pay the Royal Family 2,000 euros, which is approximately $2600 dollars. If the French publisher is late in handing over the photos, within 24 hours it will be forced to pay 10,000 euros per day until the photos are given back. 

“It is a scene of married life, intimate, personal, that has nothing to do on a magazine,” said Aurelien Hamelle, a lawyer speaking on behalf of the royal family. This breach of personal privacy through paparazzi has been an extremely hard issue for all celebrities and remains an ethical issue in society. Prince William, Middleton’s husband, believes that photographers contributed to the death of his mother Princess Diana. 

The invasion of privacy by the paparazzi has been a troublesome issue for celebrities and public figures. Even if lawsuits are used against any publications, the released photos already have done damage to the image of a celebrity or public figure. There is not a lot anyone can do when nude or compromising photos hit the Internet. Despite knowing that the public scrutinizes them, it is difficult for famous people to avoid putting themselves in a vulnerable position that could damage their integrity.

To the public, celebrities and royalties like Middleton possess a certain flawless image, but they often do things that may challenge their persona.

Before this fiasco in France, TMZ published pictures of Prince Harry cavorting naked during a game of strip billiards in Las Vegas, Nev. Photos of the brother of Prince William, who is third in line to the throne, showed Harry stark naked but for a wristwatch and a necklace, his hands cupping his genitals.

What can be gleaned from these mishaps is that most popular figures may not be as perfect as people often think. They frequently turn out to be something much less ethereal than what is presented to the public. No, the paparazzi shouldn’t invade anyone’s privacy; however, celebrities like Middleton must recognize that once you have become a public figure, you may have to give up a certain amount of privacy.

Fans adore celebrities, but keep in mind that they’re also drawn to the unflattering side of someone who is a public figure. We are all human beings and oddly enough, flaws are probably what draw celebrities and public figures closer to their admirers.