Watch out: Fall television preview

September not only marks the beginning of a new school year, it’s also signals the return of prime time television’s newest seasons. This fall will see a slew of new shows, returning favorites and the end to many long-running series. Set your DVRs – there’s a lot to see. The DePaulia gives you our picks for what we’re looking forward to this fall.

“Parks & Recreation” returns for its fifth season on Thursday, Sept. 20 at 8:30 p.m. to NBC, Leslie Knope (Amy Poehler) won the City Council election against Bobby Newport (Paul Rudd) in a recount in the season four closer, while boyfriend Ben Wyatt (Adam Scott) was offered a job in Washington by Ben’s campaign manager Jennifer (Kathryn Hahn). Season five begins with Leslie and Andy (Chris Pratt) visiting Ben and April at their new jobs in Washington. Senators Barbara Boxer, John McCain and Olympia Snowe guest star. How are Ben and Leslie handling their new jobs and being apart from each other?

When season seven ended in May, “How I Met Your Mother” saw Robin (Cobie Smulders) in a wedding dress in what seemed to a marriage to Barney (Neil Patrick Harris). When HIMYM returns for season eight on Monday, Sept. 24 at 7:00 p.m. on CBS, fans will find out – are Barney and Robin Really getting married? What happened to Quinn (Becki Newman)? With Newman starring in a new show premiering on Fox this fall, from the producers of HIMYM, it’s unlikely the Quinn and Barney story arc will continue for much longer, but fans will have to wait and see. Ted (Josh Radnor), to fans’ knowledge, still has not met the mother of his children, a story line that if dragged out further may start to disinterest fans.

Favorite Prohibition-era drama “Boardwalk Empire” returned Sunday, Sept. 16 to HBO at 8:00 p.m. Season two dramatically ended with bootleg king Nucky Thompson (Steve Buscemi) killing Jimmy Darmody (Michael Pitt), after learning he was trying to steal his enterprise. The third season will begin 18 months later at the end of 1922. New cast members this season will include Meg Chambers Steedle, a 2008 Northwestern University graduate. If you missed the first episode, be sure to see next week’s.

“The New Normal” had its series premier last week on NBC. The series will follow Los Angeles couple Bryan (Andrew Rannells) and David (Justin Bartha) as they try to have a baby. In a chance meeting they find Goldie (Georgia King) a Midwestern single mom of Shania (Bebe Wood). Goldie and Shania travel to L.A. in the series opener after Goldie walks in on her low-life husband with another woman, not even letting her slightly crazy grandmother, Jane (Ellen Barkin). Unable to afford staying in L.A., Goldie looks into being a surrogate mother and is paired with none other than Bryan and David. The show’s funny and a bit quirky and is worth a watch. Catch the next episode on Tuesday, Sept. 18 at 8:30 p.m.. If you can’t figure out where you recognize David from, he was the groom from “The Hangover.” You’re welcome.

No, you’re not a 15-year-old girl anymore, but that doesn’t mean you don’t have a soft spot for “Gossip Girl” in your heart still. The 10-episode, sixth and final season will begin on Monday, Oct. 8 at 8:00 p.m. on The CW. With viewers last May being left with the hopes for a Blair (Leighton Meester) and Chuck (Ed Westwick) lasting relationship, Dan (Penn Badgley) and Georgina (Michelle Trachtenberg) in Rome working on Dan’s next novel, and Serena reverted back to her part-girl ways, the final ten episodes have a lot of loose ends to tie up. Indulge in the guilty pleasure – how will ever know who Gossip Girl really is?

“Gossip Girl” actors Chase Crawford and Blake Lively. The show will begin its final season Oct. 8.