Low budget and fresh: “Beasts of the Southern Wild”

“Beasts of the Southern Wild,” directed by Benh Zeitlin, is a low-budget, cinematic breath of fresh air.          

The film chronicles the life of a young girl named Hushpuppy, who lives with her father in a small southern town called Bathtub.          

The people of Bathtub know their beloved community, which is surrounded by water, is slowly sinking and they struggle to survive in the face of extreme poverty and the rising waters around them. Their plight creates intense connections on the deepest and most human level that are translated perfectly on the big screen, an intimate feat that is hard to achieve.         

With a mother who left her and a father who has fallen very ill, Hushpuppy’s resilience glows. She appears bound to her community and the world that surrounds her on an almost supernatural level. It’s short film that radiates ingenuity and vivacity.          

On a cinematographic level alone, the film is interesting and faceted enough to entertain an audience for its entire duration. When the stunning visuals in ‘Beasts of the Southern Wild’ are coupled with dynamic acting, a poignant plot and flawless execution, they create an experience that is wildly difficult to forget.          

Though the film would not achieve the same effect without all of its unique pieces, actress Quvenzhan’ÛΩ Wallis, who portrays Hushpuppy, is simply striking. The talent that emanates from her is absolutely liberating and intriguing. There is a sparkle in her eye that never seems to go fade. She makes for a film that cuts straight to the soul.         

The film is not without its faults. The film is peppered with images of pig-like beasts approaching Bathtub. Though meant to symbolize approaching doom, they are poorly integrated and seem desperately quirky. The otherwise flawless film could have easily done without them, though its confidence and warmth easily subdues this minor hiccup.          

“The movie was heartbreaking but inspiring which is hard to accomplish. It was surprising that a relatively unheard of director and cast could produce such an impactful film,” said sophomore public relations and advertising major, Emily Simon, “I was so impressed with Quvenzhan’ÛΩ Wallis. She was so adorable and strong. It’s no wonder she has received so much praise.”          

“Beasts of the Southern Wild” is saturated with great features. Even in its grizzliest moments, it is gentle at its core. It is a brilliantly strange culmination of people and events that sets it in a category of its very own.