“Love this Giant,” an epic duet to love

2012 has seen some interesting team-ups in the music world: The Divine Fits (consisting of Spoon’s Britt Daniel, Dan Boeckner of Wolf Parade and Handsome Furs, and New Bomb Turks’ Sam Brown), Bruce Springsteen and Paul McCartney, Maybach Music Music Group (Rick Ross, Wale, Meek Mill), but one special new cooperative effort easily out-weirds them all. In the fall of 2009, David Byrne (the eccentric mastermind behind the Talking Heads and other iconic projects) and Annie Clark (the burgeoning indie icon behind St. Vincent) met at a benefit concert in New York City and were tasked with creating some new music between them.

On the outside, this pairing seems both incredible and overwhelming. Each artist is at the top of their game, but their styles are each so distinctive and refined that it was unclear just how well new music would click together. Invigorated by the collaboration, Byrne suggested that the duo record their new songs into an album. The result is “Love This Giant,” a funky, brilliant, brassy and weird album that is one of 2012’s most unique records.

From the outset, “Love This Giant” builds every tune on a funky horn and brass section working in unison with highly crafted syncopated percussion fills. This yields the sort of jittery, brainy sound that made the Talking Heads so legendary. But with this new record that style is pushed even further, filled with an untamed energy that is palpable throughout the 44-minute runtime of the album. It is that wild energy that makes “Love This Giant” one of Byrne’s most enthusiastic and infectious records to date.

While vocals are about evenly split between Byrne and Clark, Byrne’s eclecticism dominates the tone of the album for the most part. However, when the two voices come together in unison, it is truly special. On “Dinner for Two,” Byrne and Clark sound like their voices were made to accompany each other. Each is so unique and “weird,” yet they suit each other so perfectly. It is clear that Clark has invigorated Byrne because he sounds so full of life and vigor on these duets in particular. As for Clark, it is when her beguiling, angelic voice takes the lead on songs like “Ice Age” and “Optimist” that the album reaches its most hypnotic and affecting, drawing the listener in like she has on her superb solo records.

While the horn and brass sections influence the record in such an interesting and positive way, they do overshadow the guitar work of Clark however. Known as one of the best indie guitarists on the music scene right now, it is a shame that her signature blistering-guitar style is almost entirely left out on this record. When it does show up in the primal, almost jungle-sounding “The Forest Awakes”, it almost steals the show.

Not unlike the solo work of both, “Love This Giant” demands repeat listenings. With each repeat play, listeners can dig deeper into this heavily layered and expertly crafted album. Specifically, the excellent and brainy lyrics must be unpacked and broken-down to be fully appreciated. Clever witticism can be found just about everywhere on the album. Songs like “I Should Watch TV” and “I am an Ape” seem to tap into strange voices that one just won’t find anywhere else besides the (probably) twisted minds of Byrne and Clark.

With “Love This Giant,” it is almost impossible for the sum to be greater than its individual parts. The legendary catalogues of both David Byrne and St. Vincent are simply too iconic. But “Love This Giant” more than lives up to its lofty expectations. This sonic masterpiece may just be the weirdest, funkiest surprise of the year.

David Byrne & St. Vincent will be performing at the Chicago Theater Sept. 18.
ξ