S.P.A.C.E., with room to grow

S.P.A.C.E. might as well be considered part of the vibrant tapestry of dingy clubs and grand theaters that create Chicago’s rich collection of concert venues. It even stands on Chicago Ave., a short jaunt off the Dempster Purple Line stop, opening to a quaint little street sprinkled with offbeat cafes, thrift stores boasting shelves upon shelves of hidden treasures, and special sort of calmness absent in the clamor of the heart of the city.

For four-and-a-half years S.P.A.C.E.-composed of a restaurant, concert venue, and recording studio-has occupied its warmly decorated corners on the borderline of metropolitan Chicago, hosting bands like The Civil Wars, The Alabama Shakes and The Lumineers before they hit inescapable airwave dominance. But S.P.A.C.E. also welcomes acts in the classic vein, Todd Rundgren and the Preservation Hall Jazz Band to name a few, which follows the venue’s goal to host breaking talent along with one of the band’s strong musical influences. This wide array of talent attracts a diverse crowd that has one thing in common, what matters most-a love for music.

The main stage area is warm and inviting, with giant lantern-like silk lights blooming from the industrial-bare ceiling. A small bar is tucked away parallel to one of many eclectically decorated exposed brick walls. Instead of a gloomy and chaotic backstage, a thick, soundproof wall separates the main stage to the cozy backstage and recording studio area. Overstuffed couches, vinyl records, and coffee table books on music and pop culture are scattered across the bohemian abode and envelope visitors with an inspiring, convivial ambience.

As if its unique layout and well-though design scheme wasn’t distinctive enough, S.P.A.C.E. has also begun a series of house concert-style pre-shows in the recording studio area of the venue. Allowing just around 40 attendees in the audience, the cozy space offers a extraordinarily intimate experience with some of the most serious musical talents today.

S.P.A.C.E. is now offering a generous promotion to students craving to make the trip to witness the magic that is to offer in the intimate venue. Students with valid student ID’s can buy tickets at the door to any show for $10. That’s your cue to hop on the Purple Line express train right now.

Check out the S.P.A.C.E. website for an official schedule of upcoming shows.
ξ