Point to Infinity knows no bounds

The most profound personal triumphs often arrive at the most unexpected moments, and this rings especially true for Houston-based indie pop band Point to Infinity. Vocalist Joshua Adams and guitarist Kyle VanDevender had no way of preparing for winning DoSomething.Org and the VH1 Save The Music Foundation “Battle for the Bands” Campaign just a couple short months ago. And this wasn’t because they were un-confident or unprepared; they didn’t know their band was even in the running.

“Josh, our drummer, entered us in May and he didn’t tell anybody. And he forgot to tell us. So he called me up and said, ‘Yeah, one day I entered us and we won,” VanDevender said, his voice still tinged with the slightest hint of residual disbelief.

At this point in the quartet’s career, their main focus was graduating high school and fulfilling typical teenage personal obligations, not achieving their newfound level of success all thanks to a rogue and nearly forgotten contest entry. They had played a couple shows around the Houston area, but the tour schedule could hardly be called rigorous.

Even with the unexpected timing, winning VH1 Save The Music Foundation “Battle for the Bands” Campaign couldn’t have occurred at a better time in the band’s development. “Interestingly enough it was just when we were finishing new material and starting up with rehearsal again. It was perfect timing,” VanDevender said. The band’s main focus quickly shifted from finishing school to scrambling to rehearse for the biggest gig of their careers-Lollapalooza.

Adams explained the adjustments that have been made to the band’s rehearsing schedule since they learned they would be playing at Chicago’s largest music festival of the year. “Normally, we rehearse in a small box, but when found out about Lolla we contacted our local church and began rehearsing there and prepared in stage presence sense.”

These rehearsals have cemented the band members’ confidence in themselves and their music, now all that’s left to do is to plug into the tower of amps overlooking Grant Park and show the crowd just why they won such a sought-after prize.

Following Lollapalooza, the band’s goal is to make forge relationships around Houston while remaining in tune with current pop culture and musical interests of the masses. The band’s main objective for the next few months will be collecting funds and booking a recording studio so they can unleash a long-awaited EP.

Drawing heavily from the strong songwriter identity of Buddy Holly and the The Shins’ cheery alternative rock styling, Point to Infinity will be a festival highlight on Lollapalooza Day 3. Catch Point to Infinity’s unique brand of sunny indie rock at Lollapalooza this weekend on Sunday at noon at the Google Play Stage.

Find out more about Point to Infinity at their Lollapalooza Page: http://lineup.lollapalooza.com/band/point-to-infinity and their Facebook Page: http://www.facebook.com/point2infinity
ξ