Woman sexually assaulted near DePaul campus

DePaul University Public Safety Vehicle

A 21-year-old woman was sexually assaulted near DePaul’s Lincoln Park campus Thursday morning while returning to her apartment in the 900 block of W. Belden Ave, according to an alert from DePaul Public Safety. 

The attack occurred Thursday, Aug. 20 just after 1:40 a.m., with the male assailant attacking from behind. The attacker touched the victim inappropriately, she screamed and then he fled, per the report. 

University spokeswoman Carol Hughes confirmed that the survivor is a DePaul student. And while the Chicago Police received the call and are handling the investigation, she said “our public safety officers patrol the campus on foot and in cars and will continue to do so on heightened alert.”

The police now believe that this incident is related to two similar incidents that have occurred around campus in the past few weeks. A woman was sexually assaulted on Aug. 9 in the early morning when the assailant approached her from behind.

Last night and on Aug. 15, women were attacked as they were in the entryways of their respective residences. The offender took off on foot after each incident, according to a flyer from CPD.

Police said the suspect is olive skinned or possibly white Hispanic, between 5’5 and 5’9, 160-180 lbs. with dark-colored short hair.

In an email to community members, Ald. Michele Smith (43rd Ward) said the woman last night was taken to Illinois Masonic Medical Center and is in good condition. Anyone with information is encouraged to call Central Area detectives at 312-747-8385 or Public Safety at 773-325-7777.