Turnovers doom DePaul men’s basketball as they fall to Villanova 81-64

In a game where DePaul needed everything to go right, it seemed as if nothing could go their way as they fell to the Villanova Wildcats 84-61.

It was their first conference loss of the season in which DePaul had started 3-0 for the first time since 1991.

Billy Garret Jr. opened up the scoring with a three-point shot to put the Blue Demons up early but everything after that was all Villanova. After DePaul took a 5-3 lead, the Wildcats went on a 13-0 run before DePaul called a timeout.

Villanova would continue to build their lead after the run as they continued to force DePaul out of the game. Along with strong ball movement, Villanova was taking it to the Blue Demons with opportunistic scoring. They forced ten turnovers in the first half and scored 12 points off of the Blue Demon miscues.

When the Blue Demons did not turn the ball over, they were unable to put many points up. They had two separate stretches of five-minutes without a point in the first half as they game ran away from them.

After hitting a last-second shot to end the first half, the Wildcats took a healthy 45-24 lead into the locker rooms.

DePaul started the second half right where they left off in the first half, turning the ball over on four straight possessions as Villanova extended their lead.

The Blue Demons did cut down on their turnovers after that stretch, however, and, as the intensity of the game died down, started to cut into the deficit. The game was too far out of reach for DePaul to do any real damage but they turned what was a 30-point deficit at its highest to a final score of 81-64 in favor of Villanova.

With the loss, DePaul fell to 3-1 in the Big East and lost sole possession of first place in the conference. Tommy Hamilton IV was the highest scorer for DePaul with 12 points while the starting five combined for only 25 points.

DePaul returns home on Tuesday when they take on Georgetown at Allstate Arena.