DePaul extends Bruno’s contract through 2020-21 season

Womens’ basketball coach Doug Bruno stands on the sidelines of a game last season. Photo courtesy of DePaul.
Women’s basketball coach Doug Bruno’s contract has been extended through the 2020-21 season. (Photo courtesy of DEPAUL ATHLETICS)

DePaul has extended the contract of head women’s basketball coach, Doug Bruno, for an additional year. Bruno is now committed to DePaul through the 2020-21 season.

Bruno has led DePaul to the NCAA Tournament for 13 consecutive years, a feat only seven other teams in the country can also claim. During his 30-year career, Bruno has also amassed 587 victories, good for 18th all-time among coaches. Most notably, however, Bruno has turned DePaul into a feared women’s basketball powerhouse.

“I look forward to the great challenge of continuing to help move our program up the national women’s basketball food chain,” Bruno said in a press release.

DePaul can focus on moving up the national food chain due to their recent dominance in the Big East. The Blue Demons received eight of a possible 10 first place votes in a preseason coaches poll, making them favorites to win the Big East once again.

Bruno’s impact also extends beyond the court, leading the Blue Demons to consistent academic success.

“Coach Bruno pays it forward every day in the commitment he makes to student-athlete academic success as is evidenced by DePaul’s top GPA ranking every year by the WBCA,” Athletics Director Jean Lenti Ponsetto said. “Our young women are well prepared and highly successful in their chosen careers after graduation from DePaul because of values he instills and the lessons he teaches.”

Bruno’s Blue Demons open the season at home, Nov. 2, against St. Xavier.