You’re here for who? Mick Jenkins, Freaky Deaky and Lupe Fiasco

We did the homework so you don’t have to. Check back each week for the scoop on bands you can’t miss at some of Chicago’s hottest music venues.

1-26
(Photo courtesy of MICK JENKINS)

Mick Jenkins | Oct. 20

Similar to the below listed Lupe Fiasco, Mick Jenkin’s career origin also begins in Chicago, where the 25-year-old rapper was raised.  Alumnus of the Young Chicago Authors – of which Chance the Rapper was a part of as well — Menkin’s has not only earned himself the title of one Chicago’s greatest young hip-hop artists, but also one of the few young industry rappers that address the violence and racism that has encompassed African-American history and present day.

His deep voice is both soothing and strongly powerful as his lyrics prove to be more than captivating in their messages.  Alongside Jenkins, St. Louis rapper Smino and Evanston hip-hop artist Kweku Collins,  join the stage at Thalia Hall this Thursday.

14500326_979769568798041_6724124324330240214_o
(Photo courtesy of FREAKY DEAKY)

Freaky Deaky |Oct. 28-30

Kind of cheating, as this concert is more of a festival stacked with many artists rather than just one. The annual EDM-centric Halloween party make its return to Toyota Park, with a packed lineup of electronic acts, hip-hop artists and much more.

Headliners of the festival include Disclosure (turning in a DJ set), Tiësto, DJ Snake, Schoolboy Q and DJ Khaled.

Under the big recognizable names are some of Chicago’s local DJs and producers, one worth a mention being house music producer Duke Dumont and “Panda” emcee Desiigner. Along with the party music is a handful of haunted attractions and carnival rides for guests to enjoy.  Everyone is encouraged to come in costume and makeup to make the experience fit in with the Halloween season.

6348322
(Photo courtesy of LUPE FIASCO)

Lupe Fiasco | Oct. 31

The Chicago rapper returns to his hometown on Oct. 30 at the House of Blues, performing what he called his final major label album, “Tetsuo & Youth.”  Since his debut album in 2006, Fiasco has proven himself to be a vocal artist of social issues and spirituality rather than being a strong presence in the usual commercial hip-hop scene.  Last year, Fiasco released a new free mixtape, entitled “Pharaoh Height,” which included six new Egyptian themed tracks.

With “Tetsuo & Youth” being released almost four years ago, Fiasco has recently promised that a final trilogy of albums will be released this year, that could possibly mark the end of his rapping profession.

But while many miss the old songs by Fiasco such as “The Show Goes On” or “Words I Never Said,” his upcoming concert is a chance to get back into the rapper’s latest hits.