Filed under Arts/Life, Film & TV

What’s fresh on Amazon Prime

The Big Sick

Photo courtesy of IMDB

This romantic comedy is based on the true love story of the film’s writers, comedian Kumail Nanjiani (“Silicon Valley”) and his now wife Emily V. Gordon. In “The Big Sick,” the interracial couple must deal with their cultural differences after Emily unexpectedly falls ill.

Nanjiani stars as himself while Zoe Kazan plays Emily. Ray Romano and Holly Hunter are also featured as Emily’s parents in the film and are a perfectly awkward comedic match for Nanjiani.

The film was widely praised by critics and earned multiple award nominations, including an Oscar nomination for Best Original Screenplay. It was also successful at the box office, eventually becoming one of the highest-grossing independent films of 2017.

“The Big Sick” breaks away from the traditional romantic comedy landscape and provide a fresh and honest perspective on love. The fact that the story is based on real-life events makes the movie and the characters all the more intriguing. This movie is definitely underrated and is worth checking out next time you’re scrolling through Amazon Prime.

Fleabag

Photo courtesy of IMDB

British comedian Phoebe Waller-Bridge writes and stars as the titular character, Fleabag, in this dark comedy. The show follows the incredibly self-centered Fleabag as she navigates life in London after the death of her best friend. Fleabag is a hyper-sexual, complex and deeply flawed character that makes for great entertainment.

While the premise hints at the dark undertones of the show, “Fleabag” is also blunt when touching on topics like female sexuality and grief. The comedy has been praised for its refreshing perspective and entirely unique and flawed main character. The show does deal very blatantly with death so if you’re recently experiencing a loss of your own, this show is probably not for you.

After gaining much critical acclaim after the six-episode first season, Amazon picked the show up for a second. It’s worth mentioning that the show does deal very blatantly with death so if you’re recently experiencing a loss of your own, this show is probably not for you.

Because the seasons are so short and the episodes are only a half-hour each, “Fleabag” is the perfect opportunity to get caught up on a show that is sure to get more buzz in the future.