Blue Demon softball sweeps weekly honors

Freshman pitcher Megan Leyva has been the No. 2 starter for the Blue Demons, stepping in behind senior Mary Connolly in the pitching rotation. (Courtesy of DePaul Athletics)

A three-game sweep of conference rival Seton Hall this past weekend equated to weekly honors for multiple members of the DePaul Blue Demon women’s softball squad.

The Big East Conference announced today that senior outfielder Megan Leyva earned a Player of the Week designation while her freshman teammate Pat Moore won Pitcher of the Week honors.

Leyva slugged two home runs and two doubles for four RBIs this weekend against Seton Hall, finishing up the series with a .500 batting average and a 1.300 slugging percentage. In the series, she notched five hits and scored three runs. She paces the Blue Demons in home runs (six), RBIs (22), total bases (52), and slugging percentage (.605) this season. This is the second time this season she has earned this honor.

Moore eclipsed the 100 strikeout mark in her 11 strikeout, two hit, one earned run-performance in a 6-1 win against the Pirates on Saturday. She also pitched a scoreless inning in a 12-4 win against Seton Hall on Sunday. This is the second time in three weeks that Moore has earned the Big East Pitcher of the Week designation.

Moore has been lights out all season, accumulating a 1.94 ERA and a 7-4 record across 19 appearances. Her 102 strikeouts on the season leads the Blue Demons by a significant margin.

The Blue Demons return to action on Friday when they begin a three-game series against Villanova in their season opener at Cacciatore Field.