Four Blue Demons will participate in the 2019 USA Basketball 3×3 National Championships

DePaul+freshman+guard+Lexi+Held+reacts+as+junior+forward+Chante+Stonewall+slaps+the+floor+after+making+the+game-tying+shot+with+five+seconds+left+in+the+game+against+Marquette.+Stonewall%2C+Held%2C+Sonya+Morris+and+Kelly+Campbell+will+represent+DePaul+in+the++2019+USA+Basketball+3%C3%973+National+Championships+on+Friday+and+Saturday+in+Las+Vegas.%0A+

DePaul freshman guard Lexi Held reacts as junior forward Chante Stonewall slaps the floor after making the game-tying shot with five seconds left in the game against Marquette. Stonewall, Held, Sonya Morris and Kelly Campbell will represent DePaul in the  2019 USA Basketball 3×3 National Championships on Friday and Saturday in Las Vegas.

DePaul freshman guard Lexi Held reacts as junior forward Chante Stonewall slaps the floor after making the game-tying shot with five seconds left in the game against Marquette. Stonewall, Held, Sonya Morris and Kelly Campbell will represent DePaul in the 2019 USA Basketball 3×3 National Championships on Friday and Saturday in Las Vegas.

Alexa Sandler / The DePaulia

Alexa Sandler / The DePaulia

Alexa Sandler / The DePaulia

Chante Stonewall, Kelly Campbell, Lexi Held and Sonya Morris will be representing DePaul in the 2019 USA Basketball 3×3 National Championships on Friday and Saturday in Las Vegas.

The tournament will feature up to 16 men’s teams and 18 women’s teams competing amongst one another for their respective 3×3 title. This event will serve as the 2019 USA Basketball Men’s and Women’s 3×3 National Team trials.

Additionally, competing athletes are going to be in consideration for selection to the 2019 USA Men’s 3×3 World Cup team alongside the men’s and women’s 2019 U.S. Pan American Games 3×3 teams. This stage is the first step in USA Basketball’s pursuit to qualify for the 2020 Tokyo Olympics.

The 3×3 format will be the first of its kind at the Olympics in 2020 after debuting on the international level at the 2010 Youth Olympic Games. Compared to playing in a full court format, 3×3 is played on a half court with a 10-minute game clock and a 12-second shot clock. The first team to either score 21 points or lead once the game clock expires wins the game.

USA Basketball invited 13 select NCAA Division I women’s programs to participate in the tournament with teams of four players each. Besides DePaul, the other schools with representatives will be Arizona State, Connecticut, Iowa State, Louisville, Maryland, Miami (Fla.), Michigan, Mississippi State, North Carolina State, Stanford, Texas and Oregon, the defending USA 3×3 National Championship gold medalist.

DePaul’s student-athletes were informed about the invitation in early April. Upon receiving the news, they began practicing in the 3×3 format immediately by playing with their other teammates and mixing up the combinations.

“It’s a wide-open, freelance style of basketball,” Campbell said. “Having a big player staying down low could be tough to face, but it’s just a 12-second shot clock. Everything will be moving much faster and that could tire out a bigger player.”

Three teams, the LA Dream Team, Still Ballin’ and WAC, advanced through qualifying tournaments. Furthermore, the remaining two women’s teams haven’t been created yet, but will consist of eight NCAA Division I basketball players.

Those players include Bella Alaire from Princeton, Janelle Bailey from North Carolina, Aleah Goodman and Destiny Slocum from Oregon State, Rebecca Hittner from Drake, Rhyne Howard from Kentucky, Jordan Lewis from Alabama and Michaela Onyenwere from UCLA.

“It will be the first time in my life there’s an opportunity to make an Olympic team,” Stonewall said. “How cool would that be? Getting an invitation to a USA Basketball event like this is truly a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.”

Both the men’s and women’s teams earned their berths through a 3×3 qualifying tournament or an invitation from USA Basketball. The USA 3×3 Nationals tip-off with preliminary games on Friday, May 3 at 3:00 p.m. PDT at the Downtown Las Vegas Events Center.

One Response to “Four Blue Demons will participate in the 2019 USA Basketball 3×3 National Championships”

1. Nancy May on May 3rd, 2019 3:58 pm

Hey everyone!
    Today I come to you with so much excitement!
    I have been married & barren for 5years i had no child. i have never been pregnant i was a subject of laughter from my Friends & neighbors, i almost lost my marriage because of this issue . i was so confused that i did not know what to do until i came across this great Dr Ahmed online and i contacted him at once i was scared weather it was going to work because i never believed things like this before, so i decided to give it a try and i did all what Dr Ahmed asked of me and today to my greatest surprise i took in the first time and i gave birth to a bouncing baby boy and now my marriage that was about crashing before is now restored. my husband now love and want me better, Am so happy for everything that have been happening my life since i met this Dr Ahmed.
    I want to tell all the women out there who have a similar situation like that the world is not over YET they should dry up their tears and contact this great man and their problem will be gone or are you also having other problems you can also contact Dr Ahmed, here is how you can contact him Ahmedutimate@gmail.com or Contact him via his whats-app number +2348160153829.
    Thanks

• Four Blue Demons will participate in the 2019 USA Basketball 3×3 National Championships

New wave of talent looks to lead women’s basketball into future

College helps prepare Millender for professional career

Overcoming adversity leads to success for DePaul women’s basketball senior guard

Blue Demons add junior college All-American to 2019-2020 roster

Blue Demons add Michigan transfer to their roster

Defensive lapses cost DePaul in surprise NCAA Tournament opening-round loss

Women’s basketball suffers first-round upset in the NCAA Tournament to Missouri State

Game preview: Women’s basketball looks to continue winning ways in first round of NCAA Tournament

Blue Demons celebrate 17th straight year in NCAA Tournament

DePaul and Marquette push each other to higher level of play