Freshman forward makes immediate impact on DePaul women’s soccer

Kristin+Boos+defends+the+ball+against+a+Georgetown+defender+in+a+game+on+Oct.+24+in+a+contest+at+Wish+Field.+Boos+has+three+goals+and+three+assists+on+the+season.+

Jonathan Aguilar / The DePaulia

Kristin Boos defends the ball against a Georgetown defender in a game on Oct. 24 in a contest at Wish Field. Boos has three goals and three assists on the season.

Rarely does a new player make a smooth transition into a starting lineup, and even more rarely does a new player become an integral part of a team’s offense. Through her unique skillset, freshman forward Kristin Boos has elevated the women’s soccer team to a new level.

Boos has started in 15 games and has scored three goals and three assists. She has been a key player in the offense of the Blue Demons, who are 7-6-3 on the season while winning four of their last six games. The team sits in fourth place in the Big East and are poised to make the Big East tournament for an eighth straight year. Part of that success comes from the offense that pours on shots.

This season, DePaul has out-shot its opponents 202-145, with 101 of those shots coming on goal. Boos leads the Blue Demons in shots this year with 54. Her offensive production goes far beyond the box score though, her pace and game sense are what takes her to another level with the team.

“She is unbelievable,” head coach Erin Chastain said. “As a young woman and as a soccer player. She has a wonderful soccer IQ her work rate is incredible.”

Boos has been able to give opponents fits no matter the score. When given space, she can be dangerous around the box. A goal against Butler on Oct. 3 was a highlight play that shows her skills on offense. She received a pass at the top of the box, turned, and fired a screamer that curved into the top right of the goal past the Butler goalkeeper’s maximum reach.

Her refined on-field skill is unique for a freshman player. Chastain has been able to use her versatile skill set as a part of her system. “I think she holds the ball really well so she’s a nice outlet for us when we are trying to get out, she lets us get numbers forward,” Chastain said. “I think she is able to beat people off the dribble, I think she’s able to shoot from range. And I think she’s able to combine really nicely.”

A Michigan native, Boos played for United FC near her hometown of Sterling Heights. She played soccer, along with her five other siblings, under the watch of her soccer coach father. Through high school, Boos grew her game as a player before choosing DePaul.

DePaul offered her a D1 program in the Midwest that felt warm to her.

“The intimate culture and our staff have been amazing,” Boos said. “The girls were totally welcoming and that’s what really helped me make my decision to come here.”

Prior to arriving at DePaul, Boos was dealing with a long-time injury.

The injury was able to teach her a great deal of perseverance. “I think injuries happen to the best of us,” Boos said. “It’s something that you have to get over mentally. Physically, it happens and you have to deal with it.”

It hasn’t had any effect on her game this year though.

“She’s coming off a very long-term injury where she was out for an extended period,” Chastain said. “To see her still playing at this level and causing problems for teams is awesome.”

Her experience as a freshman has been clearly positive on the field, but that’s partially owed to the environment in the locker room and in Lincoln Park.

“I’ve had the time of my life so far,” Boos said. This team, this environment, and the culture have been amazing. I love every single minute I can be out here. It’s crazy that I am wrapping up my freshman year and hopefully I can just continue to grow into this program.”

Boos has made an impression on the team as a whole.

Chastain spoke to her character and growth as she has a few months as a Blue Demon under her belt.  “I think it’s rare that you see a freshman come into a program and really see them have some leadership,” Chastain said. She has a nice presence and leadership. She’s always the first to be excited for someone else and her energy is contagious.”