DePaul women’s basketball adds first two recruits to 2020 class

Jonathan Aguilar

Head coach Doug Bruno talking to sophomore guard Lexi Held on the sideline of Monday night’s win over Drexel at McGrath-Phillips Arena.

Two more additions to Doug Bruno’s DePaulBall system were announced on Wednesday. The DePaul women’s basketball team announced the official signing of two recruits from the western suburbs of Chicago: Darrione Rogers of Lake Park West High School in Roselle, IL and Kendall Holmes of Benet Academy in Lisle, IL.

Rogers was named to the Jersey Mike’s Naismith High School Girls Trophy watch list, putting her as one of the top 50 high school players in the country. She is the No. 51-ranked prospect in the country by ESPN and was named an IBCA All-State First Team selection.

Rogers scored 49 points against Hinsdale South as well as 45 points and 21 rebounds in a game against Batavia. She was the DuKane Conference Co-Player of the year and is one of the best scoring guards in the class of 2020. In the AAU season, she plays for the Mac Irvin Lady Fire in the Chicagoland area.

In a statement, Bruno expressed his excitement for the 5-star prospect.

“Darrione Rogers has been recognized as one of the best players in the state of Illinois and in the nation,” Bruno said. “While we are definitely excited about her talent, we are even more excited about her work ethic. She is a throwback in her beliefs and commitment to getting in the gym when no one is watching. Darrione can score the ball in a variety of different ways but is also an unselfish, great passer that plays right into our DePaulBall system. For helping to develop all those outstanding qualities, I’d like to thank Lake Park West head coach Brian Rupp and head coach Mac Irvin of the Mac Irvin Fire, her AAU team”

Rogers isn’t the only prospect announced today for the Blue Demons, who are in Corvallis, Oregon to face the Oregon State Beavers on Thursday night. They also added another 5’11” guard in Holmes. She is a key part of the Benet team that reached the state semifinals last season. 

Holmes has plenty of accolades of her own. She was selected to the Associated Press and IBCA Class 4A second-team All-State after her junior year, where the 3-star recruit lead the team in scoring with 11 points per game while shooting 40% from three. 

Holmes’ three-point shooting has always been a big part of her game. The recruit was a finalist in the Class 4A Queen of the Hill three-point shooting contest as a sophomore.
She was successful in the classroom as well, where she had a 3.89 GPA and a 27 on the ACT.

Bruno mentions her work ethic in a statement released on Wednesday.

“Kendall Holmes has been the best player on one of the best programs in the state after winning back-to-back titles in 2015 and 2016,” Bruno said. “She is simply a tough, all-purpose guard who can score the ball deep, get to the rim, facilitate and do all the little things that make players special. Kendall also brings a work ethic and a drive to improve that is still so necessary in today’s highly successful, modern student-athlete. For helping Kendall develop and take her game to the next level, I’d like to thank Benet head coach Joe Kilbride and head coach Ryan Haun of M14 Hoops, her AAU program.”

Rogers and Holmes are the first players in DePaul’s 2020 recruiting class to commit. Wednesday, Nov. 13 is a national signing day for Division 1 basketball.