Women’s basketball: Morrow’s 41-point performance topples Creighton in regular season finale

+Freshman+forward+Aneesah+Morrow+hit+41+points+in+the+Blue+Demons+90-84+win+over+Creighton+to+close+out+the+regular+season+on+Feb.+27.+

Donald Crocker

Freshman forward Aneesah Morrow hit 41 points in the Blue Demons’ 90-84 win over Creighton to close out the regular season on Feb. 27.

With one game left in the regular season, the DePaul women’s basketball team needed to come out with a win over Creighton on Sunday. And the Blue Demons did just that, defeating the Blue Jays 90-84 as freshman forward Aneesah Morrow led the charge with a career-high 41 points.

The Blue Demons finish the season with an overall record of 22-9 and a record of 14-6 in Big East play.

Creighton landed on the board first but senior guard Lexi Held and Morrow countered with layups to take the lead. The Blue Jays regained the lead but a 3-point shot by sophomore guard Darrione Rogers switched the lead back over to the Blue Demons. However, Creighton answered with a 3-point shot of their own to take a one-point lead.

Points continued to go back and forth early before Creighton pulled ahead to make the score 14-10. Baskets by Morrow pulled the Blue Demons within a point of the Blue Jays.

However, a breakaway steal and layup through an empty half allowed Creighton to add to their lead, which they added to with two free throws for a score of 20-15.

Morrow hit 13 points in the first quarter off multiple free throws that helped the Blue Demons pull within Creighton. A 3-point jumper by graduate student guard Dee Bekelja from off the bench tied the game at 24 points to end the first quarter.

A jumper by Morrow opened the scoring in the second quarter to take the lead, but the Blue Jays answered to tie the game again. Neither team made a basket for nearly two minutes before Creighton took the lead. However, 3-point jumpers by Held and Rogers gave DePaul a 32-28 lead.

A layup and free throw by Creighton cut DePaul’s lead to one before the Blue Jays took the lead. However, a second-chance 3-point jumper by Rogers gave the lead right back to the Blue Demons and Morrow extended that lead with a layup.

Both teams were battling and adding baskets as time ran out in the quarter, and a 3-point jumper by Morris was immediately answered with a 3-point basket by the Blue Jays to cut DePaul’s lead to two.

Creighton then took the lead, but graduate student guard Deja Church countered with a layup to end the first quarter with the Blue Demons leading 44-43. Morrow finished the first half with 19 points and eight rebounds.

Morrow continued her dominance by opening the third quarter with a layup before following with a free throw to give DePaul a four-point lead. However, Creighton responded with three baskets to take a one-point lead over the Blue Demons.

A layup by Morris gave DePaul the lead again but the Blue Jays took it right back. Creighton extended their lead with a 3-point shot, but another layup by Morris cut the deficit to two before a 3-point jumper by Held gave DePaul the lead and made the score 56-55.

Morrow reached her 23rd straight double-double and 26th overall as the lead switched back and forth between the two teams. The Blue Demons finished the third quarter leading 67-65.

Morrow hit a career high in points with 35 off a layup to open the scoring in the fourth quarter, but the Blue Jays responded with three baskets in a row to take a three-point lead, but Rogers answered with a 3-point shot of her own to tie the game.

Creighton made two baskets to take the lead, while a jumper by Morrow brought the Blue Demons within two.

DePaul regained the lead off a 3-point jumper by Held before a 3-point shot by junior guard Kierra Collier extended their lead to four. Layups by Morrow and Rogers added to that lead to go 12-0 in nearly three minutes and make the score 84-76.

Both teams traded baskets, with Creighton scoring a 3-point to cut DePaul’s lead to four. Two free throws by Morris extended the Blue Demons’ lead to six to close out the period.

Morrow finished the game with 41 points and 18 rebounds, while Held followed with 13 points.

The Blue Demons travel to Uncasville, CT to compete in the Big East Tournament next weekend, which begins on Mar. 4. With the win over Creighton, the Blue Demons clinched the No. 4 seed, and will begin their play on Saturday.