Wallets, credit cards taken in Daley Building burglary

An+entrance+to+the+Daley+Building+at+14+East+Jackson+in+DePauls+Loop+campus+where+a+burglary+took+place+on+Feb.+6.+

Will Long

An entrance to the Daley Building at 14 East Jackson in DePaul’s Loop campus where a burglary took place on Feb. 6.

Offices in the Daley Building at 14 E. Jackson Blvd. of DePaul’s Loop campus were burglarized in the morning hours of Feb. 6.

According to a Chicago Police Department (CPD) incident report, an individual entered the building between 10 and 11:15 a.m. Later in the day, DePaul public safety sent an alert to students, faculty and staff stating that an individual gained access to three separate offices and took wallets and credit cards.

The alert did not state which floor of the Daley Building the items were taken from but revealed that the employees who had items stolen were in meetings and absent from their offices. 

DePaul’s public safety director did not respond to multiple requests from The DePaulia for an interview, nor did the office share any additional information about last week’s incident.

A CPD representative told The DePaulia that 911 was not called at the time of the incident, but instead, a DePaul staff member later called 311 to inform police.

A source present at the Daley Building around the time of the burglary saw the suspect and described a mid-20s African American male around 5 feet, 4 inches tall. The source said he was wearing a blue hooded sweatshirt, had black hair and sported facial hair.

According to the source present at the time of the reported burglary, a suspect was seen exiting the elevator on multiple floors. The source was told by a DePaul employee that the suspect exited the elevators and walked throughout the floors on levels without an attendant sitting at a desk near the elevator doors. He did this on various floors until eventually reaching the 18th floor, the top floor of the building. 

At the time of publishing, no suspect has been arrested in relation to the incident.